Retractable Electrical Hose Reel
Did some limited research before I started this thread. Prices are all over the board. The one in the link I chose seemed to have most of the important practical and safety features. Now, if I can just get Amazon to deliver it!
There is a 40’ 12guage on sale right now from Rockler for $99

https://www.rockler.com/volt-king-40-12-gauge-cord-reel
A while back, I was talking with one of my EE co-workers about electric power cord reels.

His basic comments were to degrade the current/wattage ratings of the cord some when using one. The less cord that you pull out, the more inductive loss you will probably have and the more heating of the coil.

He also strongly suggested not using these overnight/long-term when one is not there for anything except the most trivial loads.

Of course, what does an EE know?
Winkgrin
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(05-06-2024, 05:46 PM)iclark Wrote: A while back, I was talking with one of my EE co-workers about electric power cord reels.

His basic comments were to degrade the current/wattage ratings of the cord some when using one. The less cord that you pull out, the more inductive loss you will probably have and the more heating of the coil.

He also strongly suggested not using these overnight/long-term when one is not there for anything except the most trivial loads.

Of course, what does an EE know?
Winkgrin

I think the OP is looking for electrical powered reel for air hose.   

Your EE is correct--especially for things like the old-school drop-cord lights.  I can think of 3 house fires i worked that were directly caused by extension cords on reels that were carrying loads near max.  Put 50' of 16 guage on a spool, play out 10' of that, and plug it into a 15-amp milk-house heater--doesn't take long for the cord on the reel to generate as much heat as the heater!!  Once the insulation starts to melt, it gets ugly.  I've got some pics somewhere in my archives--too deep to dig (plus it's easy to get rabbit-trailed in the hunt!!)
earl
Thanks for the tips Ivan. Nope, no air hose. I ordered the one in my original link. It arrived a few days ago and I finished the installation in the ceiling of my shop today. This is a heavy duty unit with 12 ga wire. Reel mechanism seems to work fine and it has a triangular three outlet lighted plug. This is strictly a convenience item and will be used for running tools on the workbench (think routers) and to reach other tools in the shop when necessary. Has a 45' cord which will reach anything in my shop.

When I built the shop I installed ample outlets on the walls and in the ceiling (unfinished ceiling and will remain so - very convenient). It will not be used to run any appliance overnight or unattended for extended periods, as I have heavy duty extension cords should that be necessary. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

Doug
Here are a couple of pics of the reel. Installed it yesterday.

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-06-2024, 06:32 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: I think the OP is looking for electrical powered reel for air hose.   

Your EE is correct--especially for things like the old-school drop-cord lights.  I can think of 3 house fires i worked that were directly caused by extension cords on reels that were carrying loads near max.  Put 50' of 16 guage on a spool, play out 10' of that, and plug it into a 15-amp milk-house heater--doesn't take long for the cord on the reel to generate as much heat as the heater!!  Once the insulation starts to melt, it gets ugly.  I've got some pics somewhere in my archives--too deep to dig (plus it's easy to get rabbit-trailed in the hunt!!)
earl

Thanks for the confirmation of what my co-worker told me. I had every reason to trust what he told me, but it is valuable to get real-world confirmation.

Doug: you are welcome. Thanks for the pics. I am looking to convert a detached garage built for an RV into a new woodshop for me over the next year. So, I am gathering all the good and bad ideas I can find. For temp and humidity control, I expect that I will not leave the ceiling open unless I decide to insulate the roof. Of course, the problem with insulating the roof is that you might not see roof leaks until way too late.
Sigh I am not as cold tolerant as I used to be and I have never liked dripping sweat onto my woodworking projects.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Insulation is a must IMO. Make sure the roof is good and install drywall in the ceiling; blow in insulation. Those Mitsubishi mini-splits are pretty popular for HVAC these days. My daylight basement shop stays cool in the summer and when built I installed a dedicated Rinnai propane heater (seen on wall in the photos above.) Has worked out very nicely.

Doug
(05-07-2024, 10:10 PM)Tapper Wrote: Here are a couple of pics of the reel. Installed it yesterday.

Another thing to be aware of on these cord reels, is you can adjust how much hangs out by loosening the little ball and moving it.

If you can easily reach it and its not low enough to be in the way then you don’t need to adjust it, but for my Garage it was nice to be able to put it all the way up on the 10ft ceiling and then adjust it so that the cord end hangs just above my head height.
(05-09-2024, 08:12 AM)JDuke Wrote: Another thing to be aware of on these cord reels, is you can adjust how much hangs out by loosening the little ball and moving it.

If you can easily reach it and its not low enough to be in the way then you don’t need to adjust it, but for my Garage it was nice to be able to put it all the way up on the 10ft ceiling and then adjust it so that the cord end hangs just above my head height.

Good point. Made that adjustment when I installed it. Have it at a comfortable level where I don't walk into it but low enough to reach when needed.

Doug