Woodnet Forums
wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? (/showthread.php?tid=7353812)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - JohnnyEgo - 03-23-2020

While it isn't impossible you're doing it wrong, it's also not impossible it's broken. I have the angle gauge, have had it for a decade, and it has been reliable and accurate. I also have several other of their gauges that have been fantastic. But I have their router gauge with remote readout that won't hold a zero and wanders the moment I turn on the router. So it is possible yours could be broken.

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - R Clark - 03-23-2020

I'm confident the angle shown is correct for the orientation of the gauge in that exact position. However, it wasn't the angle intended.

I think it's important to keep the face of the instrument perpendicular to the plane of the blade and plane of the reference surface, in this case, the saw table.

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - Bill Holt - 03-23-2020

I've had mine more years than I can count and it has been dead on.  As accurate as the things are, you have to keep in mind...not every single one manufactured is going to be perfect.

I would return it for replacement in a heart beat.

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - Arlin Eastman - 03-23-2020

(03-23-2020, 08:28 AM)WxMan Wrote: I'm firmly in the "more testing" category.

I've had a Wixey angle gauge for well over 10 years.

I've found that my Wixey is very sensitive to orientation with respect to the table.  Here's a series of pictures to illustrate:

5.  Simply by changing the orientation of the gauge as shown in Picture 4, I have induced a significant error in the reading on the gauge.

Hope this helps.

I found out 5 is what I seen also.  I had to make sure it was on the blade correctly and any deviation it would change it from vertical the more the blade was tilted.

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - Phil Thien - 03-23-2020

As WxMan indicates, you cannot rotate it on a 2nd axis when moving it from the reference to the moving surface.

For example, make sure it is pushed snug against the square you're using to square the jointer.

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - museumguy - 03-23-2020

Toss the Wixey, buy a TiltBox, you'll be much happier.

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - mound - 03-23-2020

Thanks all, will do more testing next chance. I have always only heard good things about these things..  when it was off by 2.5* in two environments (TS and jointer) I thought I must be doing something wrong. It *should be* simply set 0 when on the "table" and then attach it to the blade, or fence, no obstructions, no propped up on teeth etc. Just bought it at Woodcraft a few days ago. Now things are shut down so can't return it easily if defective.. 

I'll try to look more closely tomorrow

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - Derek Cohen - 03-23-2020

It is not faulty ... re-read my last post. I added in a bit to clarify what a "resultant angle" is.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - Red Sawman - 03-23-2020

(03-23-2020, 09:47 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: It is not faulty ... re-read my last post. I added in a bit to clarify what a "resultant angle" is.

Regards from Perth

Derek

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!!!

Slide it down and set the bottom flat on the table … you will get the correct angle … rotate the gauge on the blade and the angle will change ...

RE: wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate? - Handplanesandmore - 03-24-2020

(03-23-2020, 06:18 PM)museumguy Wrote: Toss the Wixey, buy a TiltBox, you'll be much happier.

I don't know whether the Wixey is inferior as I have never used one, and both have the same tolerance. But the TiltBox is excellent, giving me dead on cuts. It is different than the Wixey in one major way: after zeroing it out, you attach its side, not the bottom face, to the blade or whatever the tool to be attached to. I don't know if that would make the angle more accurate.

Simon