Woodnet Forums
air line from basement to garage - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: air line from basement to garage (/showthread.php?tid=7337947)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: air line from basement to garage - Bob10 - 03-09-2018

I know this wasn't my post but thanks for all the good info.  I want to stick my compressor outside of the shop under an exterior staircase and pull lines into the shop, driveway and front of the house.  I was thinking black pipe and a lot of threading or paying for copper.  Mostly less work and expense going with most of what has been suggested here

RE: air line from basement to garage - rwe2156 - 03-10-2018

+1 on Rapidair.

I would use 1/2" iron pipe but there's the whole threading issue guess you could rent a threader.

RE: air line from basement to garage - JosephP - 03-10-2018

(03-10-2018, 10:46 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: +1 on Rapidair.

I would use 1/2" iron pipe but there's the whole threading issue guess you could rent a threader.

Home Depot used to thread pipe for you.  Do they still do that?  Local store closed years ago, so I haven't kept up.

Also, for just going from the basement to the garage, a few inches one way or the other probably isn't a big deal, so he could just deal with the pre-cut lengths and maybe be 22" high instead of 18", for example.

RE: air line from basement to garage - JosephP - 03-10-2018

(03-06-2018, 11:43 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: I read the thread title and thought -

Why not just take the train?

Big Grin

I laugh at this every time I see the title of this thread bumped back up. 
Laugh

RE: air line from basement to garage - EricU - 03-11-2018

I don't fly unless I have to, so airlines are right out.  

The advantage of a flexible line is really hard to ignore.  We had a disaster in our lab at work that ended up with me removing 100' of black iron pipe because it was full of salt.  And it wasn't much fun.  I would need at least one short s bend, so I would need to find someone to thread a short piece of pipe.  Think I'd rather solder copper, or more likely now, just bend some nylon tubing.

RE: air line from basement to garage - Lynden - 03-11-2018

(03-10-2018, 10:46 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I would use 1/2" iron pipe but there's the whole threading issue guess you could rent a threader.

+1 on 1/2" iron pipe. Manually threading iron pipe is easy and kind of fun. Dad and I threaded all of the gas pipe for my house and garage (laundry room) using an old pipe vise and one of these threaders.

https://goo.gl/images/HLswRi

RE: air line from basement to garage - Bob10 - 03-12-2018

I was a bit more motivated this afternoon to get a better solution to for air distribution so I came across info saying black pipe is great but the rust might eventually become a problem.  So copper got the high marks, and I had originally thought 3/4" because I like to go bigger so one and done then I came across this 

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/breaktime/general-discussion/copper-pipe-shop-air-12-or-34  

and 1/2" seems to be good enough.  That and 1/2" isn't too crazy in price.  The plan is phases but then again I might just take a part of a day and do it all.  I am not sure this is the case for many but for me I want to keep it off the walls for the most part so I am bringing it down the center of the ceiling and pulling off that to drops.  I think if I attached to walls it would get stuff pushed up against it possibly damaged