Woodnet Forums
CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure (/showthread.php?tid=3058880)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Cian - 11-21-2007

You guys make us proud!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 11-21-2007

My thread would have 280 replies too if I made multiple bases

My bench looks like the ugly cousin to CT's bench, which wouldn't be so bad if she hadn't beat me in finishing it, not once, but twice! I think it is time to see some shavings on her bench though, it always looks so clean.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 11-30-2007

Here you go, Ford. Better, isn't it?

It is so much better than my old bench!

I didn't get nearly as far on the cabinets as I would have liked last weekend. But no matter, because somehow I completely forgot to figure the dividers into my last wood purchase, and as a result, I don't have enough purpleheart. Alas, back to the wood store.

Also, my drawer slides are still in transit from Lee Valley. I decided to go with 100lb (for the big drawers) and 75 lb full extension side-mount slides. I would have liked to get the undermount slides that are hidden, but at almost $30 a pop (and I need 6), that wasn't going to happen.

So anyway, here's the top, bottom, and sides of the carcase all glued up and flattened out. I still need to trim the top and one of the sides to the right width. Then I'll square the end grain and get to work on the boat load of dovetails to hold this thing together.

Actually, I should probably cut the dados for the dividers first. Or should I dovetail, dry fit, mark, and then cut the dados?

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 11-30-2007

That is better

Either dado option is better than gluing it together first before remembering to cut the dado...

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Bibliophile 13 - 11-30-2007

I'd dado first, then dovetail, as I don't like to have my freshly-cut tails and pins getting knocked around every time I handle the boards. But it probably doesn't matter all that much.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 12-18-2007

OK, it's been some time since the last update. Alas, not much has changed, since I've been so busy getting ready for Christmas (including working something up for Secret Santa), proving my turning impairment, and handling family issues.

I finally got around to getting the purple heart for the dividers, and glued up the panel for the main center divider.

Since I'm going to join all the corners with dovetails, I thought I'd treat myself to some new toys... err I mean tools, for the purpose:

I need a small project to test all these things out on before I apply them to the bench. I suppose I could make a little box for my drill bits or for chisels I don't have yet, but hope to eventually acquire (and which are conspicuously missing from my new "dovetail kit").

Still pluggin' along. I need to get this finished, though, because I want to move on to other projects. But I know that if I start something before I finish the cabinets, I'll never get them done. And I need the tool storage badly!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Belle City Woodworking - 12-18-2007

CT

That is just simply stunning! Great use of contrasting woods. Excellent Job!!! I am looking forward to seeing what your cabinet will look like

John

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Guest - 12-18-2007

CT,

Congrats on your new toys - er, necessary tools for the task. Santa was good to you - and early too. You'll enjoy all of them, especially the saw, and you'll be turning out high class dovetails in no time.

Hank

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Skip J. - 12-18-2007

Hank Knight in SC said:

CT, Congrats on your new toys - er, necessary tools for the task. Santa was good to you - and early too. You'll enjoy all of them, especially the saw, and you'll be turning out high class dovetails in no time. Hank

Hank has it right CT.

You were just born to make purple shavings, errr ..sawdust that is...

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 12-18-2007

Crooked Tail said:

I need a small project to test all these things out on before I apply them to the bench.

Have you considered a plane till?