Woodnet Forums
Need some help on a tool - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Need some help on a tool (/showthread.php?tid=7075636)

Need some help on a tool - Arlin Eastman - 08-15-2015

At Menards they have a Hitachi 12" sliding compound miter saw on sale for $389.99. Is the price good?

I have been saving for a window air conditioner since mine broke down about a month ago. When I walked into Menards to see the air conditioner I want to get I seen the Hitachi on sale.

I really need one to help me and the other vets I teach but I need an air conditioner a lot as well.
What would you guys do?

Arlin

Re: Need some help on a tool - Jeremy s - 08-15-2015

If you can only have one or the other i would get the AC!!!!
You can always find a cheap miter saw pawn shop craigslist cpo whatever...

My air conditioning is worth every penny and more! I keep my shop at 70*.

Re: Need some help on a tool - brofessor - 08-15-2015

Is it the c12rsh compact sliding miter saw? If so lowes is $399 regular price for it. With a veteran discount you can get 10% off that. Not sure if that helps. I don't know your location so maybe you don't have a lowes near you.

Edit: also I forgot if you know someone at lowes or a buddy, in November or December, not sure exact date but lowes offers 20% off to employees for a couple days or something like that. So that may be an option for you too. Maybe make a new friend

Re: Need some help on a tool - Arlin Eastman - 08-15-2015

I do not know but it has the rails forward.

There is a Lowes about 45 miles away but I have not driven yet since 2008.

We need both of them but I can not really afford either one of them but with my physical disabilities I can not work in a hot garage either.

Also I do not make friends just for a discount.

So thank you guys for your advise.

Arlin

Re: Need some help on a tool - fredhargis - 08-15-2015

Arlin, is that $390 after the 11% rebate? If not, you would get another 11% off which would make it a good price. That said, I think I would still go with the AC...if it's so hot you can't work in your shop the miter saw isn't going to get used much.

Re: Need some help on a tool - Admiral - 08-15-2015

AC. Don't confuse yourself, the miter saw will come in time. Stay cool.

Re: Need some help on a tool - daveferg - 08-15-2015

You say you're teaching vets----to do home framing/construction? FWIW, I'd teach people with a circular saw instead. First, they're more common on the job site and besides, once you've learned to use one properly, using a compound slider miter saw is a short learning curve.

Besides,---while you didn't specify where you needed the AC----for me---it's bad enough to put up with heat during the day---but if it's not cool at night, I need an AC to cool down the room because sleeping in the heat is miserable.

Re: Need some help on a tool - Arlin Eastman - 08-15-2015

I do have a idea that would could help.

Having a Radial Arm Saw would be even better and cost less so maybe I should look for a nice Dewalt or Craftsman in the 1960 time frame.

What do you guys think one would cost?

Re: Need some help on a tool - tsbrewers - 08-15-2015

If someone will do a "go fund me" page or paypal link, or something like that, I would be willing to chip in $20 towards a saw or AC. Come on, 20 of us kicking in $20 for a veteran who is teaching other veterans a trade is well worth it IMHO.

Or, if you have a Paypal account Arlin, let us know the email you use with it and we can send a little to help out.

Brew

Re: Need some help on a tool - shoottmx - 08-15-2015

Get the A/C Arlin. Take care of yourself, you deserve it.

g