Woodnet Forums
Maple platter with textured edge - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Maple platter with textured edge (/showthread.php?tid=7122611)

Maple platter with textured edge - Rich's Woodcraft - 10-19-2015

Have not posted in a while, been too busy making furniture instead of turning. Saturday I needed a "quick win" so mounted up a 14" disc of maple and turned this to shape. Then the edge was textured with #3 carving gouge. My first attempt at this technique, I think I will try it again...

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - Steve K - 10-19-2015

Very nice! Pretty piece of wood too. How did you do the texture?

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - pinky - 10-19-2015

gorgeous!

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - AHill - 10-19-2015

Pretty! The grain is quite interesting on this platter. Did you texture the other side? If not, it kinda makes me think I'd display the bottom side vs. the top.

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - Rich's Woodcraft - 10-19-2015

I just took a #3 sweep gouge and went around the rim removing material to create the effect. I also did the bottom as well.

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - Arlin Eastman - 10-19-2015

Steve

He said he used a #3 carving gouge. I am really looking forward to get some gouges and learn to carve too.

Rich

Fantastic piece of wood and good job too.

Arlin

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - chips ahoy - 10-19-2015

Great job. Rich, and a beautiful piece of wood.

Mel

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - Rich's Woodcraft - 10-19-2015

Hey Mel, This piece came from a barn full of stuff I bought in Maitland from a guy getting out of turning.

Your neck of the woods.

Rich

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - MichaelMouse - 10-19-2015

Rich's Woodcraft said:

Hey Mel, This piece came from a barn full of stuff I bought in Maitland from a guy getting out of turning.

Your neck of the woods.

Rich

Has the look of fermented soft maple. If the tree is dropped with the sap up but the leaves in bud only, it can be so loaded with sugar that it ferments in the log. Smells wonderful as you turn it, beginning with a yeasty smell, developing into something like wine. Colors it dark when properly aged.

Soft maple with a bit of the mineral stain heart showing.

Fermented.

Re: Maple platter with textured edge - chips ahoy - 10-19-2015

Got a friend of mine who lives in Maitland, he also turns. Surprised he never mentioned someone getting out of turning and selling wood. Would have been interested. I will ask him about it.

Mel