Woodnet Forums
Shooting bubinga.... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Shooting bubinga.... (/showthread.php?tid=7156031)

Shooting bubinga.... - Aram - 11-30-2015

end grain is like shooting rocks.

Has anyone actually accomplished this magical feat? I succeeded in getting my LN62 to skip right across without removing any actual wood. As a test, I squared up some purpleheart, which is hard enough-- no problem. The bubinga just laughs.

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - Matthew Williams - 12-01-2015

Maybe a bigger caliber.

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - Sawdustd - 12-01-2015

If you think bubinga is hard, try bloodwood. Not even close.

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - C. in Indy - 12-01-2015

Oh my gosh, I made a replacement rear tote for my tiny Fulton/Sargent 407 plane, from Bubinga. I could barely rasp the end-grain, much less shoot it!

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - JustinTyson - 12-01-2015

This is why I stick to my domestics

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - tim_leo - 12-01-2015

Is sandpaper a hand tool? I think so

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - AHill - 12-01-2015

Janka Hardness:

Bubinga: 2410
Purpleheart: 2520
Bloodwood: 2900

If you're doing purpleheart OK, I don't see why you are having issues with the bubinga. How thick is the piece you're trying to shoot? How thick was the purpleheart? Could be simply a problem with mass of your LN62 vs. the thickness of your bubinga.

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - Aram - 12-01-2015

AHill said:

Janka Hardness:

If you're doing purpleheart OK, I don't see why you are having issues with the bubinga. How thick is the piece you're trying to shoot? How thick was the purpleheart? Could be simply a problem with mass of your LN62 vs. the thickness of your bubinga.

Yeah, weird. Maybe it's not all about hardness. Dunno. [Shrug] Both pieces are maybe 5/8" thick, and and inch and a half or so wide.

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - hbmcc - 12-01-2015

Aram said:

[blockquote]AHill said:

Janka Hardness:

Yeah, weird. Maybe it's not all about hardness. Dunno. [Shrug] Both pieces are maybe 5/8" thick, and and inch and a half or so wide.

[/blockquote]

Sharp? When my blades have some use after an 8000 hone, I can get slicing action by, for lack of better term, sawing at an extreme angle. Bashing directly into the end of a board is a lot of work for me.

Re: Shooting bubinga.... - Lynford in Reno - 12-02-2015

When I saw your post, I didn't remember ever having trouble shooting bubinga. I had some in the shop so I went out and tried it again. LV shooting plane set for ~.0015; board 7/8" thick by 5" wide. Takes some grunt but not a problem.