Woodnet Forums
Basement Hopper Windows - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Basement Hopper Windows (/showthread.php?tid=7172940)

Basement Hopper Windows - Scoony - 12-21-2015

I have two basement hoppers that I would like to replace. These are simple aluminum frames,with glass panes that fit into the steel frame that was set into porued concrete. Some initial google searches shows people removing the metal frame and how much of a hassle it is.

I can custom order hoppers to fit inside the steel frame, but I am wondering if it would be a beter option to remove the metal frame. That metal looks pretty substantial and removal looks like it will be a major PITA.

If I left the metal frame, How would I mount the window inside of it?

Basement is unfinished, but I would like to finish it in the near future and need better windows.

Re: Basement Hopper Windows - EricU - 12-21-2015

Fine Homebuilding recently had an article about replacing these windows. As I recall, they didn't remove the metal

Re: Basement Hopper Windows - splinter7612 - 12-21-2015

Here you go: window replacement window replacement

Re: Basement Hopper Windows - Scoony - 12-21-2015

If thats the video I watched eariler, then I guess I will be removing the metal window frame.

Re: Basement Hopper Windows - EatenByLimestone - 12-21-2015

I removed the metal with an angle grinder and I think I used the 10 lb sledge too.

Re: Basement Hopper Windows - Scoony - 12-22-2015

Spoke with a glass shop yesterday to get a quote for the windows. They sugested leaving the steel in place. I am waiting to see their quote and may have them come and install them.

I took another look at the windows last night and there is about 2" of concrete above the metal frame so removing the frame would mean removing that concrete also. I think I will refer to the professionals and just have them do it.

Re: Basement Hopper Windows - Snipe Hunter - 12-23-2015

EatenByLimestone said:

I removed the metal with an angle grinder and I think I used the 10 lb sledge too.

If you use a grinder on aluminum, wear plenty of protection. Aluminum building up in a grinding wheel and expanding can make it shatter. Normally, folks don't use grinders on aluminum. If the frames are steel, have at it with the grinder.

Re: Basement Hopper Windows - EatenByLimestone - 12-23-2015

It was really thick steel. I didn't know that about al though. Thank you!