Woodnet Forums
Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade (/showthread.php?tid=7213453)

Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade - longbarrel50 - 02-07-2016

I'm sure this has been covered before. I tried the search function and apparently I'm not using it properly as I didn't retrieve any correct posts.
I have an old skew rabbet plane that I would like to sharpen the blade on. I only have water stones and diamond stones and I use a Veritas MKII sharpening guide. Is there a way to use this guide to sharpen this type of blade or is there a jig I can make?
I don't think I could do an acceptable job sharpening this free hand.

Thanks
Chris

Re: Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade - Bill_Houghton - 02-07-2016

LV offers a skew guide for the Mk II.

Re: Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade - Mike Brady - 02-07-2016

+1 on the LV guide.

Re: Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade - rwe2156 - 02-08-2016

Sure you can. Just find the bevel angle and go.

Re: Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade - longbarrel50 - 02-08-2016

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.

Chris

Re: Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade - Derek Cohen - 02-09-2016

longbarrel50 said:

I'm sure this has been covered before. I tried the search function and apparently I'm not using it properly as I didn't retrieve any correct posts.
I have an old skew rabbet plane that I would like to sharpen the blade on. I only have water stones and diamond stones and I use a Veritas MKII sharpening guide. Is there a way to use this guide to sharpen this type of blade or is there a jig I can make?
I don't think I could do an acceptable job sharpening this free hand.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris

I freehand mine so that is not much help. However I can show you the essence of a reliable jig.

Basically, using the Veritas Mk II, you need to set for projection and squareness. You can do both at the same time using a simple jig.

First place the skew blade in the guide and ensure that the bevel is flat to the surface. That will be the projection you want (a degree here-or-there will not matter).

Then ensure that the outer edge of the bevel is square to the guide.

What you need to end up with is a simple "L-shaped" jig like this (obviously not intended for the Veritas, and your blade will point to the lower corner, but you will get the idea) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade - longbarrel50 - 02-10-2016

Derek,
Thanks for the response. I've tried something similar to your design. I've started sharpening on a diamond stone and hope to finish tomorrow with water stones. It will be quite cold here this weekend so I won't try it out until next week, hopefully I'll have some good action shots.

Chris