Woodnet Forums
Big ol' anvil - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Big ol' anvil (/showthread.php?tid=7252938)

Big ol' anvil - SteveF - 03-27-2016

Today I found out what my upper limit is for lifting tools, it's less than 297 lbs.

A friend called me to come look at tools this afternoon. I bought quite a few. There was an S-K box full of wrenches and sockets(many beautiful Plombs), a Porter Cable jig saw in the box with all the accessories, a Stanley low angle block, an interesting Wilton corner vise (clamps vertically and horizontally), a Osborne leather stripper (bag full of leather too), and this huge Fisher-Norris eagle anvil. I was guessing maybe 250. We loaded it into the back of my Rav4 with no problems. I got home and lifted it out of the car and lowered it to the ground by myself with little trouble. I absolutely couldn't lift if up 6" to put it on the scale, had to call a neighbor for help. 296.7 pounds according to my bathroom scale.

Re: Big ol' anvil - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 03-27-2016

Outstanding!!
I'd love to have one of those. There's a local guy selling some, but he's asking over $4/lb and up.

That one will clean up easily. Have fun.

Re: Big ol' anvil - Daniel S - 03-27-2016

That's a big one to have mounting lugs and it looks like its in really good shape. Very nice find. I have a 110 lb with lugs and a 30 lb. The best part about the Fishers is the lack of ring. I know some people with a 600lb and saw a 700 lb at a conference a couple of years ago. There is a guy in New Jersey with a museum dedicated to them. https://m.facebook.com/FisherAnvils/

Re: Big ol' anvil - DaveBeauchesne - 03-27-2016

I found a sweet little Fisher anvil at a garage sale a couple years ago - dated @ 1896 - 40 lbs.
I got a hold of the fellow at the Fisher Museum - very helpful.
A 300 pounder? A gem to be sure!
Dave B

Re: Big ol' anvil - Daniel S - 03-28-2016

If you're going to clean it, a wire wheel on a grinder is the way to go. A Fisher that size is what a lot of people dream about getting.

$4/lb is a lot of money, but the tool will likely outlast you and your grandchildren. At the museum where I volunteer, one of the anvils was purchased by the head blacksmith's grandfather. He's in his late 70's and his grandkids have forged on it too.

Re: Big ol' anvil - SteveF - 03-28-2016

I've heard the Fishers are very good anvils, supposedly the eagle ones are some of their best.

I've had really good luck with anvils in the past year. Last year I had four: a Fisher, a Peter Wright, a Henry Wright, and a unmarked one. None were over 159 pounds though.

I've got a old Sioux grinder here, but no wire wheel for it yet.

I wish you were closer Greg, this one's a lot less than $4 per pound.

Re: Big ol' anvil - tim_leo - 03-28-2016

Where's 'Todd-I-kinda-collect-those' when we need him?

I'm sure he could tell us all about it

Re: Big ol' anvil - SDB777 - 03-29-2016

Gravity rules....at least with HEAVY!

Nice find. There is a fella up the road from me with a clean 250lb anvil(and he'll throw in the base for free)...he has been asking $700

Figure I'll have to pass on that. Guessing if I want to pound on hot steel, I'll be making a railroad iron 'anvil' from the junk I have picked up over the years. Just have to remember to get a big magnet to get rid of the 'DING'.

Scott (you clean it yet) B

Re: Big ol' anvil - blackhat - 03-29-2016

Is anvil envy recognized as a disorder by the medical profession? Are there support groups available to help?

Re: Big ol' anvil - blackhat - 03-29-2016

Neat vise too BTW. Don't think I've seen one before.