Woodnet Forums
Where to get brass screws? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Where to get brass screws? (/showthread.php?tid=7270085)

Where to get brass screws? - Strokes77 - 04-21-2016

Where do you men buy your brass screws? If I ever progress to the point where I make an actual nice piece of furniture, I would like to use slotted brass screws instead of the standard drywall screws I use otherwise.

Is there a standard size I should look at getting a stash of to start a set? I assume they are cheaper in small bulks.

Thanks fellas.

Re: Where to get brass screws? - Mike Brady - 04-21-2016

Try one of the boat-building supply houses. Jamestown Distributors is a good one. They have quality you can't get at a hardware store today.

Re: Where to get brass screws? - Boatman53 - 04-21-2016

+1 Jamestown Distributors. Pre install the hardware with steel screws to cut the threads or you risk breaking the brass screws especially in hard woods.
Jim

Re: Where to get brass screws? - Tony Z - 04-21-2016

LIL. Don't forget to clock the screws!

Re: Where to get brass screws? - jteneyck - 04-21-2016

Brass screws are nice where the screw will show; otherwise, there is no reason to use them for furniture applications. Square or torx drive steel screws are superior in every way, stainless steel if corrosion is a concern. GRK torx drive are my favorite these days.

You can buy nearly anything you want at McMaster Carr. McFeely's has an extensive selection of screws, too.

John

Re: Where to get brass screws? - Phil S. - 04-21-2016

I've been happy with the ones I've gotten from Lee Valley.

Re: Where to get brass screws? - Raven907 - 04-22-2016

I get mine at Ace Hardware. Use a steel screw to cut the threads, then install the brass screw. It doesn't take much to cam the heads or worse yet, shear the screw.

Re: Where to get brass screws? - JR1 - 04-22-2016

McFeeleys, LV, a few from local ACE or Tractor Supply.

Re: Where to get brass screws? - Gary™ - 04-22-2016

I've switched to silicon bronze screws. Almost the same look and less problems.

Re: Where to get brass screws? - JustinTyson - 04-22-2016

Strokes77 said:

Where do you men buy your brass screws? If I ever progress to the point where I make an actual nice piece of furniture, I would like to use slotted brass screws instead of the standard drywall screws I use otherwise.

I'm a bit curious. The only place I would ever use brass screws is for the installation of hardware, which is obviously not a place where one would typically use drywall screws. For things like, say, pocket screws to hold tabletops in place, I would simply use slotted steel screws. What exactly are you planning to do with the brass screws?