Woodnet Forums
Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt (/showthread.php?tid=7290910)

Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Ruler2112 - 05-28-2016

I was wondering if anybody has a source for 5/8" bolts with 18 threads per inch with a left-handed (reverse) thread. My Delta 46-460 Lathe tailstock started 'slipping' and upon taking it apart, discovered that all the threads were nearly flat. Called and they're sending me one under warranty, but Delta is moving and says they can't get it out until late June at the earliest.

If I can buy a bolt for a few bucks, I could easily machine the part I need, but can't seem to find the right one. Tried Home Depot, Fastenal, and ACE Hardware. Just glad I caught it now - after November, the lathe is out of warranty and the part is over $70!!!

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Rodneywt1180b - 05-28-2016

You might try McMaster-Carr. I didn't see LH 5/8-18 listed but they would probably know where to get one.
Rodney

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Arlin Eastman - 05-28-2016

Here you go buddy

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0123441

I have bought from before and they are great to deal from.

Arlin

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Dennis Puskar - 05-28-2016

That is 5/8-11 he is looking for 5/8-18.

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - AHill - 05-28-2016

Try here:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=13553

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - iclark - 05-28-2016

You could ask Monster Lathe Tools if they could tap a replacement nut with a left-hand thread of your choice.

They sell the replacement nuts for mini-lathes and they are a nice upgrade. I expect that the nuts for their hollowing systems would work as well for a full-sized lathe.

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Wild Turkey - 05-28-2016

Have you tried ereplacments?

Are you sure the thread is 5/8"-18? Most parts for the lathe are listed as metric

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Ruler2112 - 05-28-2016

Thanks for the replies guys.

Actually already called Fastenal; work right next door from my local store. Only thing they had was threaded rod, but it was stainless & over $100.

eReplacementParts does have the part, and for only $13.35! Not as good as $2 for a regular bolt, but it'll do and I don't have to cut the head off & grind a flat. It's called a 'lead screw' on their site.

I'm pretty sure I got the size right. Tried the metric thread gauges in the tap & die set I have, but was unable to find a match. Thought it was metric because everything else on the lathe seems to be (frustrating because I don't have much metric stuff in my stash of bolts/screws), but went to the english set and the 18 thread gauge dropped right in. The major diameter of the screw doesn't match what's listed in the machinists handbook for that size bolt, but I figured it's because it's so worn. (It's distressing to think of the implications of overall quality that it wore as much as it did in just five years of intermittent turning... most of the threads are basically gone.)

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Wild Turkey - 05-29-2016

The Woodnet Brain Trust strikes again

I learned about ereplacments here and have found it very useful

Re: Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt - Rodneywt1180b - 05-29-2016

Ruler2112 said:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Actually already called Fastenal; work right next door from my local store. Only thing they had was threaded rod, but it was stainless & over $100.

eReplacementParts does have the part, and for only $13.35! Not as good as $2 for a regular bolt, but it'll do and I don't have to cut the head off & grind a flat. It's called a 'lead screw' on their site.

I'm pretty sure I got the size right. Tried the metric thread gauges in the tap & die set I have, but was unable to find a match. Thought it was metric because everything else on the lathe seems to be (frustrating because I don't have much metric stuff in my stash of bolts/screws), but went to the english set and the 18 thread gauge dropped right in. The major diameter of the screw doesn't match what's listed in the machinists handbook for that size bolt, but I figured it's because it's so worn. (It's distressing to think of the implications of overall quality that it wore as much as it did in just five years of intermittent turning... most of the threads are basically gone.)

Planned Obsolescence.
It's a shame most things are engineered that way these days. You mentioned the warranty was almost up. You probably were using it a little more than predicted. If you had used it just a little less it would have lasted just long enough for the warranty to expire.
Rodney