Woodnet Forums
CFI help - please - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CFI help - please (/showthread.php?tid=7320977)

Pages: 1 2

CFI help - please - cputnam - 07-27-2016

There is a GFI in my garage which controls all the outlets near sinks on the north side of the house.  Recently it has started popping with any sort of load.  For 10 years now it's had a refrigerator plugged into it without issue.  Now, plug in the fridge and it pops instantly.  It's doing it with a brand new, much smaller unit.  Nothing else plugged in in its control loop except for some idle battery chargers and they do not make it pop.  Only other thing I can think to add is that the temps have at or about 100° during all this.

Should I assume a bad GFI or are there other diagnostics I should run?

RE: CFI help - please - brnhornt - 07-27-2016

I'd just replace the outlet...

RE: CFI help - please - fredhargis - 07-27-2016

Yeah, they can go bad. Inexpensive and easy to replace.

RE: CFI help - please - Mandrake - 07-27-2016

Once they hit a point of age and have a lot of trips on them, they seem to become more and more sensitive. I had a very similar situation, and replacing in kind with a new GFCI solved the issue.

RE: CFI help - please - meackerman - 07-27-2016

they can go bad.  replace it and see if the new one has issues.

RE: CFI help - please - K. L. McReynolds - 07-27-2016

The codes call for a NON GFCI for fridges/freezers.

RE: CFI help - please - Herb G - 07-27-2016

CFI or GFI?
Which is it?

RE: CFI help - please - cputnam - 07-27-2016

It is GFI just mistyped cfi in the title.

Everyone in this 2000 home development has a GFI strategically placed to plug in a garage fridge.  Not sure anybody is aware of, or cares about, the code.  

Gentleman, I want to thank you all for your help.  I'll get a new GFI and hope that my meager skills are sufficient.

RE: CFI help - please - Bob10 - 07-28-2016

I don't know what you are looking at but I imagine you have a single duplex receptacle in a single box.  If I am right I would consider installing a 4 square box sticking in a single plug for the fridge isolated from the GFI that I would put in the box next to it
http://www.mrsupply.com/product.php?productid=70936&cat=0&page=20

[Image: YW2G1DC1SR_m.jpg]

RE: CFI help - please - Herb G - 07-28-2016

(07-27-2016, 06:41 PM)cputnam Wrote: It is GFI just mistyped cfi in the title.

Everyone in this 2000 home development has a GFI strategically placed to plug in a garage fridge.  Not sure anybody is aware of, or cares about, the code.  

Gentleman, I want to thank you all for your help.  I'll get a new GFI and hope that my meager skills are sufficient.

Make sure the power is turned off before you monkeying around with electricity.
It is nothing to be messed with if you don't know what you're doing.
You'd rather be safe than sorry.