Woodnet Forums
For those who like older shoulder drills - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: For those who like older shoulder drills (/showthread.php?tid=7327151)

For those who like older shoulder drills - Arlin Eastman - 01-21-2017

there is one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOODELL-PRATT-Large-Antique-Chest-Shoulder-Drill-Pat-Date-Aug-13-1855-USA-/122293567239?hash=item1c7943bf07:g:p-IAAOSwPcVVhL9i

GOODELL-PRATT Large Antique Chest Shoulder Drill Pat Date Aug 13 1855 USA

I do not know if the dating is correct or not buy it is there for someone and I really like the seller whom I bought something from and is a vet in Iowa

RE: For those who like older shoulder drills - hbmcc - 01-21-2017

Shipping ($20) is pretty hefty. At over $60, it needs to sparkle and show its worth.

RE: For those who like older shoulder drills - Admiral - 01-22-2017

+1, in mint condition, maybe for a collector at that price.  Nothing special about it, $20 at most, personally I'd pass at $10 in a market, but that's just me.  I never found them useful and don't even have one.

RE: For those who like older shoulder drills - Arlin Eastman - 01-22-2017

I thought the same as both of you and was kind of skeptical about the date of it also.

RE: For those who like older shoulder drills - bandit571 - 01-23-2017

Have the Millers Falls No. 120.......paid $20 for it. 
[attachment=1050]
Three jaw chuck, is more for "normal" round shanked drill bits.  

Heavy  beast.  haven't gotten around to using it much.
[attachment=1051]
As I have a few others I reach for, first...
Rolleyes

As for that big #120.....I couldn't talk the gal down any on the price...
Upset  So I paid and left.

RE: For those who like older shoulder drills - Bill_Houghton - 01-23-2017

As cool as breast (or as Arlin called it, shoulder) drills are to look at, I don't find mine much use for woodworking; once you get up to a size where the extra pressure/torque of a breast drill is needed, a brace is a more logical tool.

Now, if you were determined to do your metalwork entirely by hand, a breast drill would make sense.

Just my two cents (worth so little these days that not even I stop to pick up a penny on the ground).