Woodnet Forums
Finish for handrails - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Finish for handrails (/showthread.php?tid=7332147)

Finish for handrails - WoodworkerTom - 07-31-2017

I am refinishing some handrails for our church.  I was wondering if GFs Hiperformance Poly would be a good finish if I use 4 coats or should I use an oil based urethane?  How long should I let the finish cure before reinstalling them?  I know GF says 21 days but would it be safe after 4 or am I asking for trouble?

RE: Finish for handrails - jteneyck - 07-31-2017

High Performance Poly is a very nice product but not all that durable; I wouldn't use it for a handrail.  If you want to use a WB product I'd go with EnduroVar.  Over raw wood three coats should do it.  Over stripped/sanded old work I'd start with a single coat of SealCoat shellac and then two or three coats of EnduroVar.  I would let it cure at least 3 or 4 days before using it; recognize, however, that longer is better. 

If you want a finish that's really easy to apply and offers even more durability, then use Arm-R-Seal or some other wiping varnish.  Arm-R-Seal is perfect for railings; just wipe it on.  But it will take at least 2 days to apply 3 or 4 coats, and you should let it cure at least 3 or 4 days before using it; again, longer is better.  Both products are noticeably harder after a couple of weeks. 

If you start on Sunday after services, the handrails should be ready for gentle use by the following week.  

John

RE: Finish for handrails - Cooler - 08-01-2017

I refinished the table tops at our local Starbucks using 4 coats of Minwax oil based poly.  It stood up to  9 years of daily commercial use.  I would feel comfortable recommending that finish.  

However...

Do not put it back into service until the finish has completely cured.  I waited 7 days.  I've been told it fully cures fully in 200 hours.  I know that is not true as my older pieces have a harder finish than the 200 hour cured stuff.  But 7 days is a reasonable time frame for this finish.

I'm sure that there are other finishes that will do the job.  This is the only one that I know of first hand that can stand up to that kind of abuse (wiping down with a Windex-like cleaner multiple times per day, plus the use by the customers and the originally ceramic plates (later thermoset plastic plates) and knives and forks.