Woodnet Forums
Old lathe question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Old lathe question (/showthread.php?tid=7335960)

Pages: 1 2

Old lathe question - Angus - 12-30-2017

Wondering if anyone has seen a beast like this before or have any info on it.
craigslist

RE: Old lathe question - Arlin Eastman - 12-30-2017

Wow only $600 for what looks like a 30+" swing production lathe.

To me I would take it in a second and later put the single phase thingie on it.  That is just one stout lathe.

RE: Old lathe question - daddo - 12-30-2017

I can't believe 2 weeks and it's not been sold.

RE: Old lathe question - Angus - 12-30-2017

The spindle makes me nervous and the fact it won't fit in my truck and I would have to rent a forklift to move it. And the fact I'd have to remodel my shop for it to fit lol

RE: Old lathe question - Woodshop - 12-30-2017

(12-30-2017, 11:49 AM)Angus Wrote: Wondering if anyone has seen a beast like this before or have any info on it.
craigslist

looks like an angle iron bed. I'd be asking lots of questions

RE: Old lathe question - crokett™ - 12-30-2017

(12-30-2017, 03:16 PM)Angus Wrote: The spindle makes me nervous and the fact it won't fit in my truck and I would have to rent a forklift to move it. And the fact I'd have to remodel my shop for it to fit lol

all those are solvable problems.  I'm just sayin'.  
Wink

RE: Old lathe question - Angus - 12-30-2017

(12-30-2017, 08:39 PM)crokett™ Wrote: all those are solvable problems.  I'm just sayin'.  
Wink

Yeah, but pretty soon that $600 dollar lathe starts costing more than 2 or 3 robusts......Not my first rodeo lol

RE: Old lathe question - crokett™ - 12-30-2017

Big Grin
Big Grin

RE: Old lathe question - Arlin Eastman - 12-31-2017

(12-30-2017, 09:37 PM)Angus Wrote: Yeah, but pretty soon that $600 dollar lathe starts costing more than 2 or 3 robusts......Not my first rodeo lol

Angus

It the tailstock is bothering you buy the Robust one or Oneway and shim it up until you get the height and you have a lathe they will turn anything.
Yes

Also I see that the tailstock was welded and not angle iron but sheet stock and looks like from the pic 3/16 to maybe 1/4 thick.  I would try it and work up until you feel it is not working right.  Also I would change the wheel on the back to maybe 10" instead of the what looks like 3".
Yes

Also I did not see the size of the motor and if it was 3hp then it is a bigger one then what is used nowadays so that would be a + to.

RE: Old lathe question - Angus - 12-31-2017

I've decided against it Arlin. The spindle does not look like a standard threaded setup. It is not any type of variable speed so it would take motor work at least and maybe a phase converter. I would have to rent a trailer and forklift to get into the shop. I would have to rip out banks of wall and floor cabinets and add wiring to the shop. I would need a new bowl steady and tool rests. In the long run I would be money ahead buying new. I never turn anything that would come close to needing that much machine so the costs outweigh any benefit for me.