Woodnet Forums
Christmas gifts - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Christmas gifts (/showthread.php?tid=7351823)

Christmas gifts - EvilTwin - 12-15-2019

Doing some turning this past month to make some gifts for the folks at work.  I've turned a bunch of pens, some bottle stoppers, some potpourri holders and these screwdrivers.  The goal was not to spend too much on any one piece since I figured I'd be doing about 30 to get something for everyone.   I was particularly cheap (at least I tried) with the screwdrivers.

I had turned a couple last year since the kits were in a workbench I bought off a guy on CL.  But the price of the kits was running about 3-5 each or more if they had to be shipped.  So I went to the local HF with a coupon and bought a few at a buck a piece.  I then went to the bandsaw and extracted the part I needed from each.  Wood for the handles was a piece of walnut that I had for a long time and a 2x2x16 (species unknown) that I got at the woodcraft along with a couple of other kits at about 3 each.   The hardest thing to find was something to use for a ferrule.   I wanted either brass or copper but settled on some aluminum that I got from Amazon.  My first try and turning something with aluminum, but it cut pretty well with carbide and I got a nice finish on it with some 0000 steel wool.  Finish is some antique oil, about 3 coats.

Cheap screwdrivers from HF:

[Image: FArHU9h.jpg]

A little creative butchery:

[Image: b9xQMOv.jpg]
A
Partially finished with the Aluminum ferrule glued on:

[Image: 9p0nw76.jpg]

Finished.  The one in the middle is the 3 dollar woodcraft kit:

[Image: CK1C7wY.jpg]

Some other gifts in progress:

[Image: 18DnrzZ.jpg]

[Image: fvih4c6.jpg]

RE: Christmas gifts - Arlin Eastman - 12-15-2019

Well done buddy I like all of them.  When I get a chance and some extra $ I want to get 30 of those driver kits since all the ladies like my wife's which I made for her.

They really do come in handy around the house. 
Yes
Yes
Yes

Can not wait to see the pens and bottle stoppers finished up.