Woodnet Forums
Turners smock - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Turners smock (/showthread.php?tid=7357246)

Turners smock - gt64155 - 08-18-2020

I'm trying to find a turning smock for my 14 year old grand daughter. But, I can't seem to find any that would be small enough. The smallest that I have seen is a medium.  My guess is an adult small would be a little big, but she could grow into it. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

RE: Turners smock - Arlin Eastman - 08-18-2020

Can Grandma or Mom sew??

Kind of like a kitchen apron with sleeves.  I know I would love the one Glen Lucas sells with sleeves and high neck but do not know if he sells small ones I will check.

RE: Turners smock - Arlin Eastman - 08-18-2020

Yep he has even xsmall

https://www.glennlucaswoodturning.com/product/long-sleeve-woodturner-jacket-petrol-blue/

RE: Turners smock - iclark - 08-18-2020

Grow-into-it = wearing baggy clothes at the lathe. Bad idea.

This time of year, the shop is likely cold enough that you could use a half-zip thermal turtleneck top as a pull-over smock. The zipped-up turtleneck will keep dust and shavings out of her clothes. Just make sure that the sleeves and body are snug over her clothes. You do not want a sleeve snagging on the turning work piece when she is sanding or when she starts to learn sizing with outside calipers while cutting.

Glenn Lucas is a great guy to work with. If his site does not have measurements for the smocks, I expect that he would be happy to provide them if you email him/the_site.

RE: Turners smock - MichaelMouse - 08-18-2020

(08-18-2020, 01:46 PM)iclark Wrote: Grow-into-it = wearing baggy clothes at the lathe. Bad idea.

Got to agree with that.  Uniform supply house should have button-up collar smocks for cosmetology in smallest.  I'd say teach her to shave wood rather than hack it, making the collar superfluous.  Get the lathe down or some firm risers (not a stool) to get her up where centerline is around her waist.  Had sixth-grade females who used risers fine.  Guys, being guys, just wouldn't use them despite their height, and were consequently slow (chipper) learners....

RE: Turners smock - iclark - 08-18-2020

I used a couple of pallets side-by-side with plywood on top as risers for my sister and niece. That worked well for them and could be easily removed and stored for my use. I did make sure to have a spotter there when one of them was turning in case they forgot and stepped back to look at their work.