Woodnet Forums
Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? (/showthread.php?tid=7365508)

Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - Snapp3rfi - 10-14-2021

I’m new to this forum, actually I have never posted to any forum before. Anyhow, I just bought this lot of wood from an online auction which was listing for an estate sale close to my house. I was hoping to get some idea of what kind of lumber this is. I know it’s not really a reasonable question being that the picture they had posted is poor quality but I figured I’d give it a shot anyways.

RE: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - iclark - 10-14-2021

Once you pick it up, post a good pic of the end grain and one of a closer pic of one of the knots.

If you can put a scale in the pic of the end grain, that might help as well.

Hopefully, that is the wood's natural color and not a dye job.

RE: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - Snapp3rfi - 10-14-2021

(10-14-2021, 10:21 PM)iclark Wrote: Once you pick it up, post a good pic of the end grain and one of a closer pic of one of the knots.

If you can put a scale in the pic of the end grain, that might help as well.

Hopefully, that is the wood's natural color and not a dye job.

I will post more pictures when I pick it all up on Sunday. Thanks

RE: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - Snapp3rfi - 10-14-2021

I ended up winning this lot also. Got both lots for a total of 5.40. The only problem is I will only be using maybe an 1/8 of what’s there and I rent a studio so I don’t know what to do with the rest of it.

RE: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - mound - 10-15-2021

(10-14-2021, 10:10 PM)Snapp3rfi Wrote: I’m new to this forum, actually I have never posted to any forum before. Anyhow, I just bought this lot of wood from an online auction which was listing for an estate sale close to my house. I was hoping to get some idea of what kind of lumber this is. I know it’s not really a reasonable question being that the picture they had posted is poor quality but I figured I’d give it a shot anyways.

Welcome!

My first instinct was Douglas Fir, or some such similar construction "2-by" lumber that's been sitting outside or somehow oxidized/weathered? (this referring to the first picture in your original post only)

RE: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - rschissler - 10-15-2021

I'd say douglas fir or southern yellow pine.

RE: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - goaliedad - 10-15-2021

Welcome! And congratulations on the. Great deal. I agree, looks like some sort of pine, spruce or fir. Construction material.

RE: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - Gary G™ - 10-15-2021

If you paid $5.40 for it, you stole it.
Congratulations.

It’s probably a pine—possibly longleaf or loblolly.
Could be Douglas Fir too.

Either way, great score.

RE: Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is? - Stwood_ - 10-16-2021

Mostly SPF (Spruce, Pine, Fur)
Looks like a chunk of walnut above your sack of quikcrete