Woodnet Forums
Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe (/showthread.php?tid=7366891)

Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - Jack01 - 01-01-2022

I am using 2 inch PVC pipe for a experimental project, not for plumbing
I like to thread the pipe, I checked available resources and found Tap-Die up to 1 inch in size 
So far I have not found threading tap for 2 inch pipe at reasonable cost, what I found are the taps for rigid pipe, which I am reluctant to get as that increase the cost also the threads are different.

Any one have any ideas on where to find the 2 inch tap for PVC ?

I cannot use the PVC female fitting on this project as the outer diameter increase.

Thanks

RE: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - museumguy - 01-01-2022

Do you know anyone with a metal lathe? Machining threads is easy on a metal lathe.

RE: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - JosephP - 01-01-2022

You want NPT threads? You can probably cut the threads in PVC with black iron or galvanized fittings. I'm not sure if it will work on something that big, but I have done it for smaller fittings and it works great..

RE: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - MstrCarpenter - 01-01-2022

(01-01-2022, 11:32 AM)JosephP Wrote: You want NPT threads?  You can probably cut the threads in PVC with black iron or galvanized fittings.  I'm not sure if it will work on something that big, but I have done it for smaller fittings and it works great..

They'll cut 2". Pipe dies for black iron started cutting fine but began deforming my PVC pipe as they progressed. I initially tried just heating the pipe and threading on a coupling but the results were unpredictable at best. I just cut a few shallow slots to make "teeth" and filed down the threads just in front of them. I sealed the threaded joints with G.E silicone. It acts as a lubricant while tightening, leak-proof under pressure, and they'll come apart if needed.

RE: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - brianwelch - 01-01-2022

JosephP That sounds like an interesting idea...might suggest filing some grooves across the threads to allow waste to fall away...

Edit:Looks like MstrCarpenter was a little quicker on the draw...

RE: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - blackhat - 01-02-2022

Any decent supply house should be able to sell you threaded PVC sch 80 nipples in a span of different lengths.

RE: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 01-02-2022

Why not just glue a threaded connector on? Used in electrical field all the time. I am sure plumbers use them too for connecting to steel pipe stacks.

RE: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - Jack01 - 01-07-2022

(01-01-2022, 11:32 AM)JosephP Wrote: You want NPT threads?  You can probably cut the threads in PVC with black iron or galvanized fittings.  I'm not sure if it will work on something that big, but I have done it for smaller fittings and it works great..

Joseph   I found 1" Iron fitting at local Big box store and works on 1 " PVC ok, threads are not deep, but it will accept threaded PVC fitting ok.

The did not have 2" iron fittings  so I need to go to downtown plumbing store and pick up one to do experiment.

Thanks

RE: Threading 2 inch PVC pipe - JosephP - 01-07-2022

(01-07-2022, 10:13 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Joseph   I found 1" Iron fitting at local Big box store and works on 1 " PVC ok, threads are not deep, but it will accept threaded PVC fitting ok.

The did not have 2" iron fittings  so I need to go to downtown plumbing store and pick up one to do experiment.

Thanks

Smile  glad it worked!