Woodnet Forums
Chipmunks? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Chipmunks? (/showthread.php?tid=7366894)

Pages: 1 2

Chipmunks? - David Stone - 01-01-2022

Holes in the front yard:

[attachment=39678]

[attachment=39677]

Assuming it's some unwanted pests, how best to get rid  of them?  (The cocker spaniel, whose butt you see in the photo, is worthless.)  
A friend is buying coyote urine or something.

RE: Chipmunks? - jteneyck - 01-01-2022

Get a cat.

John

RE: Chipmunks? - fredhargis - 01-01-2022

If they are chipmunks, using a rat trap baited with peanut butter has worked for me in the past. Of course, it needs to be where the dog won't get to it. But I'll tell ya, we had a problem with cottontails at our last house and they holes they had in the yard looked something like your photo.

RE: Chipmunks? - Turner52 - 01-01-2022

I too have used rat traps and they were efective. If I couldn't use those due to pet problems I used a homeade live trap baited with in the shell peanuts as bait. Worked fine. After catching them I gave them swimming lessons. They all passed that part just fine. When I put a partly full 5 gallon pail inside of the first one is when they all failed the hold your breath test.

RE: Chipmunks? - David Stone - 01-01-2022

Ah, yes, rabbits. We have a lot of those around here. I’m not sure I’ll be able to get rid of them. Any way to clear out the holes? One of those gopher bombs? Maybe pour a bleach solution down the holes?

RE: Chipmunks? - R Clark - 01-01-2022

You don't say your location; assuming you took the pics today and from the green stuff in the picture, you're in a place that's a lot warmer than my location (Iowa).  

Those holes look a bit small for rabbits.  

We don't have chipmunks, but we do have 13-line ground squirrels.  The holes in your pictures look like the ground squirrel holes on our property.

I use Jawz rat traps baited with peanut butter and peanuts.  Link:  Jawz Rat Traps  I will occasionally predate them using an air rifle; this may or may not be legal in your location.

Chances are the university extension service in your area has information on critters likely to be encountered in your area; a quick online search is worth your time to learn about them.  It's useful to know a bit about their habits.  For example, chipmunks are not true hibernators in many locations.  But, the ground squirrels here are true hibernators and they go into hibernation by mid-Autumn.  They emerge in the first warm Spring days, usually in April.  I don't know what ground squirrels or chipmunks do in your area.

RE: Chipmunks? - R Clark - 01-01-2022

(01-01-2022, 01:00 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Get a cat.

John

In my experience, well-fed cats make poor pest control agents.  
Laugh

(01-01-2022, 04:46 PM)David Stone Wrote: Ah, yes, rabbits.  We have a lot of those around here. I’m not sure I’ll be able to get rid of them.  Any way to clear out the holes?  One of those gopher bombs? Maybe pour a bleach solution down the holes?

I'm not really a fan of "better living through chemicals."  

I used to try and poison the ground squirrels, but only had limited success.  I also became concerned about secondary poisoning if a predator or scavenger found the carcass.  Then we got chickens, and I was concerned about accidentally poisoning them.

I've had limited success with the gopher bombs.  There's no sure way to determine if they're in the hole when you bomb the thing.  Plus, if the burrow is extensive, the bomb may not release enough gas to go throughout the burrow.

You could pipe mower exhaust into the burrow.  It wouldn't be hard to rig up, though I've never tried it.

RE: Chipmunks? - Snipe Hunter - 01-01-2022

We get something very similar from foxes digging up moles and voles. You shouldn't get those from squirrels or chipmunks till the spring when they're digging up their nuts. If they were burring them, the hole would be filled and they don't bury them that deep.

Foxes don't really dig them up, they do a nose dive in the mole tunnel and pop out with the mole. They listen and smell them out. They know just wear to jamb their nose in.

We also get them when voles come out at night.

This fox is a rookie. usually they nail it on the 1st dive.

RE: Chipmunks? - JosephP - 01-01-2022

(01-01-2022, 03:17 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I too have used rat traps and they were efective. If I couldn't use those due to pet problems I used a homeade live trap baited with in the shell peanuts as bait. Worked fine. After catching them I  gave them swimming lessons. They all passed that part just fine. When I put a partly full 5 gallon pail  inside of the first one is when they all failed the hold your breath test.

get that half=full 5 gallon bucket.  put a 2x4 ramp going up it baited with shells or nuts.  throw some shells on top of the water.  They'll take (and fail) their own swimming lessons.

RE: Chipmunks? - goaliedad - 01-01-2022

My brother in law lived to hate chipmunks. He developed a very good trap- get some Tom Cat rat traps. Build a wooden box that fits nicely over the trap. Get some short- 6 to 12 inch lengths of 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe. Drill a hole in one side of the box, high enough so the trap sets under it. Put the PVC in the hole. The chipmunk goes in the pipe and does not come out. This also keeps pets away from the trap