A Small Aircraft Carrier for Me
I know "No pictures, didn't happen.". Pics will follow after I get the thing down into my shop and back together.

I was following a Mini Max FS35 (14") J/P on E-Bay. It was located near Albany, NY so about 5 hours away. They seller wanted a starting bid of $2750. No one bid on it, including me. I contacted him after the auction ended and we struck a deal. Not a gloat, but I'm happy as the machine is in nearly new condition. I paid $2100 for it. The only thing missing is the mortising chuck. The mortising table is there but not the chuck, and the cutter head does not look like a chuck can be installed on it, which seems strange unless the cutter head was changed to one that does not support a mortising chuck.

When I walked into the guy's shop on Sunday AM I found the J/P and also a Mini Max sliding table saw and a shaper with power feeder. I almost bought the shaper, too, but I hardly use the one I own and may even get rid of it so I passed. The TS was beautiful, but I doubt he'll get $2450 for it. Turns out the guy who owned all the tools had died and his son was liquidating everything. If anyone wants a beautiful Mini Max TS or shaper let me know and I'll put you in touch with the estate agent selling the stuff. He wanted $1750 for the shaper, but I know he'll take less.

So I ran the J/P and it just purred. All good. No mortising chuck, but he did have a set of wrenches for it, a spare set of knives, the knife setting gauge, and a set of gauges to set the outfeed table level with the knives. I went over to the nearest U-Haul and picked up the 1-way trailer I had reserved and went back. Thankfully, the machine was on an HTC mobile base and we were able to roll it up onto the trailer by putting some 1/2" plywood over the mesh trailer gate. Still, it took three of us to get the 750 lb beast aboard. Driving home was uneventful behind my Subaru Outback, but my gas mileage was only 16 mpg! Thank goodness gas is cheap at the moment. My wife and I were able to get it off the trailer with no additional help.

With the help of a chain fall I removed the in and out feed tables; they weigh around 100 lbs each. I've also removed the cutter head, drive rolls, planer table and lift cylinder, and motor; pretty much everything but the frame. I think that probably weighs only around 250 lbs now so two people should be able to get it down the basement stairs on a hand truck - I hope. Taking the machine apart makes me appreciate how well this machine is built. They spared no opportunity to add mass in this thing, and everything fits together perfectly; no over sized holes, shims, etc.

Pics to follow in a few days, hopefully.

And I'll be putting my faithful 10-1/4" Inca 510 J/P and 12-1/2" Foley-Belsaw planer/molder up for sale shortly. Ain't gonna need them anymore.

John
Awesome score John!! I'm in a basement shop as well, it is a challenge getting heavy stuff down the steps. Hope you have a straight shot in. Looking forward to pics.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I have a guy coming tomorrow evening and I think we'll be able to get it down the 12 steps ratchet strapped to my heavy duty hand truck. Thankfully, it is a straight shot. When I get it back together and running I'll have to have him come back so we can muscle the Foley-Belsaw beast out. The Mini Max is never coming out in my lifetime - I hope.

So here's a sign of how little I know about some things. Well, lots of things but let's just stick to J/P's for now. The cutter head on the J/P has an integral Wescott chuck built into it. But it was closed so there was no hole but, truthfully, I had no idea what I was looking at. The sales flyer I found for the machine in the owner's manual said a Wescott chuck was standard, so I googled it and it looked just like the end of the cutter head. When I examined it more closely it was obvious how it works. So now I've got a heavy duty mortiser to go with my J/P. That should come in real handy when I need to make some really deep mortises for a new front door.

John
Congrats, John. I upgraded my Inca 570 a couple of years ago to a Hamer A3-31 12" J/P. I love it. It's one of the best purchases I've made. I hope you have the same experience. The MM s a fine machine. It should serve you well.
Nice score!! Was that in the house over on Daytona?? I was over there looking at some of the hand tools, but the guy running the estate sale wanted full retail for a lot of the stuff. There were definitely some nice machines there, though. Had I known you were going to be in the area, I would have gladly offered to help load.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Hi Dave. Yes, that was the place. Had I had more time to think about it I should have contacted you just to meet you. I appreciate your generous offer, though. I'll keep it in mind if there's a next time. If I find a Mini Max 16 or Agazzani BS down that way, I'll be in touch.

John
John, congrats. There are a few of us with 12 inch J/P's, I have the much cheaper and lighter Jet version. The only downside is that I have gotten very spoiled having a 12 wide jointer, instead of the 6 inch one I used to have. I just finished a Secretary Bookcase that had 14 inch floating panels, so I had to do the flattening of the final glue up by hand. For the rest of the piece, most of the parts, when glued up, were less than 12 inches so I could joint and plane after glue up, which makes a project go much quicker.
Congrats John.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
nice

Pics .. I want Pics
My friend came over this evening and we got the beast safely down into the basement. I thought the frame weighed around 250 lbs but I'm sure it weighed 400 by the time we got to the bottom of the stairs. But we made it with no damage to us or the machine so all's good. If the weather is good tomorrow, I'm milling logs. If it's poor, I'm putting the J/P back together. Either way, it won't be long.

john