Applying shellac on wood, while mouted on lathe
I tried applying shellac while the wood is mounted on the lathe. It really makes the finishing process go fast. I like it so far.

Are there any tips or cautions that you guys have run into?
If you're rotating, remember rags get caught sometimes and you can't release fast enough. I see no percentage in it, personally. Too easy to do on static pieces OFF the lathe with a rag and a touch of lube. Doesn't sticky coat the chuck, either.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
What lube?
Light oil - olive or grape. It's mock French-polishing. Since you're not heating the shellac to make it flow as with friction polishes, you need something to keep it from tacking to the rag.

Suppose you could use wax, as friction polishes do, but I don't.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
After watching Jimmy Clewes do it I started applying a coat of shellac on the lathe before a final finish. I use a paper towel to apply a light sealing coat. That's dry in 15-20 minutes and I cut it back a bit with #0000 steel wool. Leaves a very nice, even base.

Doug
I put shellac on while the lathe is running and as said the rag can stick. I put it on and let it set for 10 to 15 min then use a handful of shavings to polish. Sometimes I'll take it off and let it set and polish it again after it has had a few hours to cure. I use the shavings and go with the grain of the piece. Steel wool and a rag work good also at this point.
I do similar to others (and I use shellac a lot).
I start with a thinned wash coat about 2-1 DNA and brush it on with the lathe off. Runs, drips, laps don't matter.
I dampen 0000 with DNA and burnish in the finish. After a couple of coats you should have a hard "finish". I then burnish with dry 0000 and occasionally follow with dry shavings if I want a higher luster.

If you want a high gloss you can do as Michael suggested with oil and build the gloss to the level you want.
I have been doing that now for over a year and love it on certain things. I always put Danish oil first then Blonde or Amber Shallac over that. I then turn it on and get it hot to burnish it in just like I do for the oil and it makes it shine so nicely.

Also you can put any other finish over shellac you want.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks All for the input... If someone would guide me with the next step, please.

Below is a photo of my project I'm working on. IT has 2 heavy coats of 2lb cut shellac on it. It looks nice and shiny, which is GREAT.

My question is how do I keep the nice shine but make it silky smooth? All detailed responses, sure would help. I'd rather not learn through trial and error.

Beall Buff

http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php

Twinn
Will post for food.