Stickley chest of drawers plan
Hi,

I would like to build a simple low chest of drawers with a Stickley style design. Something very similar to these two pieces:

Stickley Chest 1
Stickley Chest 2

Can anyone recommend an available plan that will at least help to get me started on design? I would like to construct it with traditional joinery and methods. Many of the plans that I have come accross are tailored more to power tool, plywood and other more modern construction techniques.

I plan to cut all the joinery by hand but will use the powered jointer and planer to help with dimensioning.

Thanks
Try this. I think you may have to pay for them, though.

http://readwatchdo.com/store/stickley-fu...s-gallery/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I was going to suggest one of Bob Lang's books on Craftsman furniture, then it dawned on me that is exactly what Allan was pointing to. At any rate, one of Bob's books such as this one would give you a lot of useful information. This particular book also discusses woodworking techniques, hardware and other things that may help you out.

Phil
I just want to clarify that the pieces in my books, and the plans that I sell are for historical period pieces. The two cases mentioned above, while very nice are modern adaptations from the current L. & J.G. Stickley company. They make very nice furniture, probably the best factory production available today, but they tend to be creative with what they call the pieces they make and that gets confusing. Some of their production is designs from the early 1900s, but a lot of it isn't. I think they should differentiate which is which, but it's their company. I get requests all the time for plans for things shown in their current catalog, and that's not what I do.

My motivation to write "Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture" 15 years ago was my dissatisfaction with how furniture from the Arts & Crafts period was presented in books and magazines with a woodworking audience. The original pieces represent an important chapter in the history of furniture design and if we don't present what happened in the past accurately, we leave our children and grandchildren significantly less than what was passed on to us. If we do that, we shouldn't be surprised if they don't appreciate it.

That being said, I'm not a purist when it comes to using period details in contemporary work. To do that successfully however, one needs to thoroughly study the period to understand what is important and what is fluff.
Thanks for that Bob; many of us would not, and obviously do not - know the difference. If there is a group of guys and gals who would care about that difference, it would be us. I suspect a lot your books and plans will be under our Christmas trees this year...
Skip

My initial reaction to the two pics listed by the OP was they were nondescript dressers with a bit of trim as a nod to A&C style. Pointing to Bob's book was to perhaps show some more tasteful examples of A&C furniture and joinery techniques suitable for the type while not beating the OP and telling him he really didn't want to do what he said he wanted to do. Thanks for the books, Bob. I enjoy them a lot. The dragon stool is still on my list of to do projects.
Maybe we're saying the same thing, but in the OP's defense, he never said he wanted Arts & Crafts plans. He directly linked to two dressers that Stickley currently sells. It was Bob Lang who pointed out they aren't really Arts & Crafts style. A&C is my favorite style. I also have both of Bob's Shop Drawings books on Craftsman furniture.

Phil S. said:

My initial reaction to the two pics listed by the OP was they were nondescript dressers with a bit of trim as a nod to A&C style. Pointing to Bob's book was to perhaps show some more tasteful examples of A&C furniture and joinery techniques suitable for the type while not beating the OP and telling him he really didn't want to do what he said he wanted to do. Thanks for the books, Bob. I enjoy them a lot. The dragon stool is still on my list of to do projects.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I don't think anyone is picking on the OP. If I came off that way it was unintentional. I will be a bit picky (something I have a lot of training and experience in); I wouldn't say that the two pieces in question aren't in the "Arts & Crafts", "Stickley" or "Craftsman" style. I think the guys at Stickley did a decent job of applying period details to modern pieces.

What I did want to point out is that they are not "period" pieces. Dressers of that size and configuration weren't made in the early 20th century. Neither were coffee tables, but it's possible to design one in the style. Not everyone cares about this sort of thing, but I'm a history geek as well as a furniture geek. I think if you're into building furniture you should know the background of it. Anyone want plans for an authentic Shaker king-size bed?
You notice the OP is keeping his head down while we head for left field.
Yes, I noticed that. Smart.
Thank you Bob for an interesting and thoughtful answer. I've enjoyed reading this thread, though I don't have a dog in this fight.
My wish for the OP is that he gets his plan, satisfactory to him in terms of design, appearance, functionality, and his skill level. Good luck.