Xtend-It to save open can
This is not an advertisement; it is just a pleased customer report. I have a new can of General Finishes Arm-r-Seal. Only an inch or two will be used on my current project, then the can goes on the shelf for who knows how long. This is a pricey finish, but the shelf life is limited. It skins over and gets thick.

To solve that problem, I use a product called Xtend-It. It is an aerosol can with a straw to direct the spray. I put the lid loosely on the can, slide the straw in, and release a little spray. The gas is heavier than air, so it forces all the air out as it is sprayed in. Hammering the lid down, it’s good to know the Arm-r-Seal will still be good when I open it next.

Just saying.  —Peter
I really don't mean to be adversarial, but I must ask if this is the only time you have used the product? If so, how do you know it works? And, what is the cost. It seems to me that it is just as effective and cheaper to drop in some clean marbles, ball bearings, etc, to take up the space and accomplish the same thing. I have also put finish remains into heavy duty plastic storage bags and squeezed out the air. I then put the bag of finish into the original can for identification and protection. Works well.
I have had half full cans of finish skin over. Last year I bought a can of Bloxygen and it does keep the can of finish from skinning over. Reading the can, it is argon gas. Now, a few weeks ago, I just use the bottle of argon that is on my tig welder. I have looked at the bags to put the finish in from Klingspor or Lee Valley. I thought it would be a pain to pour the finish in them, but they should work to remove all the O2.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I've been using Bloxygen for a few years now.  It works well as long as the container is air (and Argon) tight.  I had a lid that must not have been tightly sealed and the Arm-R-Seal was skinned over after 6 months or more.  On lids that seal tightly Bloxygen extends the life seemingly indefinitely.  

John
I've tried  a few gasses to stop the curing and never had success, but I've not tried Bloxygen. I have tried propane as well as CO2, and they slowed, but didn't prevent the problem. I switched over to the Stop Loss bags....while they aren't nearly as convenient as using a gas(and probably a little more expensive), they are very effective. I've kept varnish for 3 years in one, and it was still like  just opened the can.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-28-2021, 06:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've tried  a few gasses to stop the curing and never had success, but I've not tried Bloxygen. I have tried propane as well as CO2, and they slowed, but didn't prevent the problem. I switched over to the Stop Loss bags....while they aren't nearly as convenient as using a gas(and probably a little more expensive), they are very effective. I've kept varnish for 3 years in one, and it was still like  just opened the can.

If the lid doesn't seal perfectly gas won't prevent the finish from skinning over.  Air will still get in.  I remember some guys on here who haven't been around in awhile saying they turn the finish can upside down after putting the lid back on.  Apparently, if there's a tiny leak some finish will ooze out and dry, sealing the leak and preventing air from getting into the can.  I've never been brave enough to try it for some reason.  

John
I had not heard of Bloxygen, but it seems to be the same as the product I mentioned.
Willyou asked about my experience with it. I’ve used it with a gallon-sized bucket of drywall mud, as well as with oil-based paints.
You mean it worked with drywall???? That's a real surprise to me. I thought mud dried when the moisture evaporated.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.