Ok...sharpening jigs
When can we sign up for the list.
LIL

I have one of the very early prototypes ( no Tormek connection) and I can happily say it handles all manner of chisels and plane blades, skewed or straight. Either get on the list for the pass-around or get on the list for the production version - that's what I think. I gotta send Jim a PM to get on the production list.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Sent you a PM.

Steve
Here is a photo of the jig.

Two scales are engraved on the top the upper scale is for a 1" projection and works between 17° and 35°. The lower scale is a 1/4" blade projection and can set an angle between 20° and 55°.

The notch behind the wheels are to engage a tool rest like on the Tormek or its clones or a home made rod rest as Ian Kirby described in a magazine article.

The wheels in this photo are set wide but the outside edges have a radius to make it easy to soften the corners of plane blades. Loosen the two screws that hold the axle and lift out the wheels switch the spacers and slide the wheels together and you now have a fully cambered roller.

Admiral this is where the prototype you have ended up. The jig pictured above handled all of my mortise chisels but one of my beta testers found it couldn't hold his Ray Iles giant pig stickers as the handle got in the way of the underside of the main plate of the jig. The chisels are set with a 1" projection and there is a scale scribed on the inside of the quadrant to set the angle.

Several people have asked to be on the list to try it out so I guess I've started a list. Please be patient as I'm in the middle of my spring boat work and don't have much time to make the jig I'll be sending around. Send me a PM and I'll give you my email and we will go from there.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Man, Jim!

That's ingenious indeed, many congrats on a very well thought out design. There's one question I have. How the jig makes sure that the blade is clamped square?

Klaus
Thanks Klaus. There are actually three way to make sure the blade is square. The setup guide that sets the blade projection aligns the cutting edge with the front of the jig. Then there are lines scribed to the surface the blade is clamped to, you can see them in the photo of the wheels. Visually they either assure the setup was square or if the edge was off square to start with the blade can be slide side to side to correct the out of square condition. Lastly there are pins that project through the underside when needed. An 1/8" chisel doesn't have much of an edge to keep it square so it is lined up with the scribe lines or butted up to the two pins, one on the front and another at the back side of the platform. I'll get some picks of them later today.
I had someone inquire if it could sharpen 'V' gouges so I tried one and yes it can. Sorry the camera wanted to focus on the table I'll get better shots later.

Palm handled tools are a problem due to the size of the handle, but I have some ideas on that. Because the wheels can set any angle if the clamp system can hold the tool you can sharpen it.
Jim
Jim.
This looks like an excellent all around jig.
great work on the design and execution with the prototype!
Like many others here , I am sure, I am wondering if this jig will become available to purchase?
Thank You Jim
Gordon
Wow Jim, that is one serious sharpening jig, "Congratulations on a well thought out tool.

Steve
Jim,
If your jig will sharpen the palm V tools I have a feeling that caricature carvers will on it like a chicken on a June Bug. That’s the hardest tool for us to sharpen and many good V gouges have been ruined in the trying. Ed
Sorry Dry Heat it will not hold the palm handled carving tools, the handle just keeps getting in the way. There is however an excellent alternative called a graver sharpener and for these small tools it is far superior in the the way it controls the tool and bevel angle. Mine can handle the bigger tools but for the small stuff get a graver sharpener. I'm surprised the people you speak of don't know about.

Jim