CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
Here's the not-so-exciting update. Drawers, drawers, and more drawers! Four down, two to go. I should have done them in the opposite order: largest to smallest. The larger the drawer, the more work in dimensioning the stock, cutting and fitting the joints, etc.

Here's a pic of setting up the slides from LV. These are pretty nice slides.

Here is the drawer body in place. The only things left to do are to glue on the maple front and tweak it to fit just right. It will have a plywood bottom (I know, I know).

I need more practice with my lathe, but I'm ready to be done with this. Instead of turning purpleheart knobs, I may just buy some knobs to put on there. Eventually I can turn some knobs for it and replace whatever store-bought ones I put on there.
Turning impaired.
Mercy!
Skip

24,000 views...this gotta be tops for this forum,but maybe bottom dwellers beat it sometime......Great looking bench and nice username,lol
Dave
Not enuff warriors....too many chiefs!
newstick said:

24,000 views...this gotta be tops for this forum,but maybe bottom dwellers beat it sometime......Great looking bench and nice username,lol
Dave

Hey Dave;

You just have no idea....

thats worth saying again!

You just have no idea.......

If you read every one of those posts, you'll see a suggestion from me that she ought to maybe sell some of those racing-striped vises..... CT is without a doubt our true bench artist..... and she's already thinking of improvements for the next one!
Skip

From experience, I know that installing drawer slides can be a PITA. Looks like you've done a nice job on the ones you've installed.

The cabinet looks great and I like the purpleheart accents. As a suggestion, why don't you try making the drawer pulls yourself? If they don't work out, you can always go back and buy ones that will get the job done. If you don't try, you'll probably always be sayin' "If only I....."

Keep posting. Even if it's only the mundane stuff.

Blaine
Very nice. Those dovetails look like you know what you are doing!

One minor suggestion, replace the pegboard, preferably with a panel of purpleheart drilled full of holes using the pegboard as the template

What? I won't be the one drilling all those holes

I have to second what Skip said, "Mercy", indeed.
Thanks for the encouragement, as always. Without it, I'd probably have never got this far. But one of these days this project will actually get finished...
Finished and fit the fourth drawer today.

Here's a side-view.

In a way, I probably should have actually used PH instead of pegboard. I was just thinking that the pegboard is not terribly durable, and the way the bench is constructed, it would be hard to replace. Oh well, time will tell. I'm getting anxious to start actually using the cabinets. I need tool space! I... errr... spent my tax return and now I'm a little short on storage.
Turning impaired.
I am sure it will be fine, I do enjoy spending other people's money.

You have definitely raised the bar at WoodNet both in terms of bench quality and documentation. It has been quite enjoyable watching your bench become (for lack of a better word).
Crooked Tail said:

Here's a side-view.

Looks like "Dovetail City" to me.......

Hey Ford;

Good to hear from you again....
Skip

CT I like the drawers, you did a good job!
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter!