CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
CT, you may have said it but are those full extension slides?

Thanks
Peter
Peter

My "day job"
Yep, they are these 75 lb. full-extension slides from Lee Valley. Well, I also got the 100 lb version for the two bottom drawers, which are bigger so will probably hold more / heavier stuff. The drawers are only 12" x 18", so these slides are possibly a bit overkill, but I'm glad I got them. They should last forever.
Turning impaired.
Hi Skip.

It's been awhile since we last talked benches.

Are you still planning your bench?
Hey Ford:

Sorry CT! long time no hijack....

Anyway, I haven't done a thing in my garage shop since cutting the parts. I can't even get in there to my trash bench to finish my kit plane. I was gonna start when it cooled off a bit around Thanksgiving. Well my son was moving and need a place to store some of his extra stuff. It filled up every nook and cranny, including the top of my bench. I just do my usual DIY chores on my workmate on the drive in front of my garage. WW'ing and tool rehabbing have died and gone to heaven for me..... I know my bench parts are in there somewhere, I just don't know where!

Anyway, I always like to read CT's thread, kind like reading yours.... I can make a bench in my mind at least.....

One thing I learned from CT. Be Bold! After buying CS's bench book, I am thinking now that when I get my shop back; the heck with upgrading my trash bench. I'm thinking I will build my own bench and locate it in the floor - and anybody who wants to share my space will have to deal with it.

So there!
Skip

CT, I am new here. I have been reading some of your posts in this thread. I just had to express my share of admiration for your beautiful work. I hope someday I'll be able to build a nice bench like yours. I thought the purpleheart wood gave your bench a nice contrast; very original!
I think CT is too busy cutting dovetails to worry about a little hijack

Kids, always get in the way don't they I like your new resolution, I daresay CT has inspired a lot of bench builders and builders to be with this thread
FordPrefect said:

I think CT is too busy cutting dovetails to worry about a little hijack

Kids, always get in the way don't they I like your new resolution, I daresay CT has inspired a lot of bench builders and builders to be with this thread

Good - I was worried there a bit....

My kids' 40 and has a coupla kids of his own; so we're talking a lotta stuff here.... I'm hoping for last November to come this next November.. or sooner...

I am following CT's lead for designing the bench - but all my PH is in the SK kit plane, one's enough for me, that stuff is hard as a rock!
Skip

Sorry to hear that you're temporarily displaced from the shop, Skip. I hope you can get back to it soon. Some extended "planning time" I guess.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Looking back, being such a n00b, this was a pretty bold project, and more than once I wondered what the heck I'd gotten myself into. Now I'm very glad I did it, though. I'm the type who almost never finishes anything I start, but this bench is an exception. I've learned so much, especially patience and perseverance.

Here's the latest update. I finally finished all the drawers! Yay! Whoo hoo! It's very exciting, because the drawers were so much work. Me and the scrub plane got a heck of a workout, because all of the stock had to be dimensioned down to either 1/2" or 5/8".

Many, many thanks to Bob Z who donated the knobs to the project after I complained about my lathe. The lathe and I are not good friends (yet). Bob's knobs will help this thing get finished a lot quicker.

But it's not quite finished yet.

Left on the To Do list:
-Mount the doors on the back
-Put knobs on the doors
-Mount door catches
-Final scraping / clean up
-Finish with Watco
-Mount in workbench base
-Drink a cold beer (or two)
Turning impaired.
Very nice cabinet, CT.
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter!
CT, that cabinet looks fantastic. Really, really good job.
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas