CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
Thank you guys, for all your comments. It does really feel good to have it finished. No design patent on it, if you like please copy (something about flattery...)

The workbench did get used in building the cabinet part, and indeed, I don't know how I got along without it before. Sooooo much nicer than the shop bench from Woodcraft that I was using before.

There are, however, a couple of things I would have done differently if I'd realized them at the time.

1) I would have made the frontvise jaw extend all the way to the edge of the bench. I don't know why I didn't, just a brain fart I guess.

2) I would have used the Lie-Nielsen tailvise hardware instead of the LV hardware.

3) I would have spent the extra dough and made the legs out of maple, instead of poplar. Workbenches aren't cheap, but ought to last forever, so spend the money to make it right!

4) I would have made the dog holes closer together. They are 5" apart, they should be 3" or 4" apart.

5) I would have used a solid laminated top, instead of the two wide boards in the middle. Again, spend the money and do it right. I haven't had any trouble yet, but I see flattening issues in the future and, well, it just would have been better!

I've saved this thread in its entirety, and I'll see if I can mirror it on my website for when it eventually poofs from here. One of these days when the weather is bad, I'll try to condense it into a cogent article.

For my next project, I'm planning on building a Chippendale chair out of walnut. However, I need to practice with my new carving tools and get semi-proficient with them first. A chair is probably the one project that this new workbench probably won't be all that helpful for. Go figure. But I need bedroom furniture, in tables, and a Chippendale secretary... so it will see plenty of use.

Thank you all again.
Turning impaired.
quote:
2) I would have used the Lie-Nielsen tailvise hardware instead of the LV hardware.
quote:

And the reason for this??
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
Crooked Tail said:

But I need bedroom furniture, in tables, and a Chippendale secretary... so it will see plenty of use.

hmmm...a Chippendale secretary...they have an employment branch now? Is the uniform still just the collar, tie, and cuff links?

sorry...I'm just having one of those weeks...hopefully it'll improve
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Crooked Tail said:

4) I would have made the dog holes closer together. They are 5" apart, they should be 3" or 4" apart.

You are absolutely correct. I made the same mistake, but mine are about 10" apart and my top already looks like swiss cheese, so I use flat spacers to correct the problem (kinda like a bench hook that sits between two dogs).

Blaine
captjack said:

quote:
quote:

Simply that I'm not crazy about the quality of the hardware from LV. The tailvise hardware is not "Veritas;" who knows who or where it was made. The biggest problems were that not all of the screw holes were countersunk, and the back plate was not flat. Granted, I have not seen the LN hardware in person, but from the pictures and representations on LN's site, it has got to be better. "Better" meaning better machining, stouter construction, tighter fit so the vise doesn't either lift or dive when you need more than nominal clamping pressure (e.g., when planing across or diagonal to the grain).

MaulSkinner: I actually did laugh out loud when I read that. Maybe that's why my mom looked at me funny when I said, "One of these days, I'm going to have a Chippendale secretary, like the one on the cover of that magazine."
Turning impaired.
Crooked Tail said:

[blockquote]captjack said:

quote:
quote:

Simply that I'm not crazy about the quality of the hardware from LV. The tailvise hardware is not "Veritas;" who knows who or where it was made. The biggest problems were that not all of the screw holes were countersunk, and the back plate was not flat. Granted, I have not seen the LN hardware in person, but from the pictures and representations on LN's site, it has got to be better. "Better" meaning better machining, stouter construction, tighter fit so the vise doesn't either lift or dive when you need more than nominal clamping pressure (e.g., when planing across or diagonal to the grain).

MaulSkinner: I actually did laugh out loud when I read that. Maybe that's why my mom looked at me funny when I said, "One of these days, I'm going to have a Chippendale secretary, like the one on the cover of that magazine."

[/blockquote]

I agree with CT. I'm building my TV right now. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the LN hardware, rather than the LV, for basically the same reasons. The LN is welded and does not require construction of a wooden core.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
CT,
I gotta say, that's one Hell of a Workbench.

NICE work on that, and all the hand tool work you did to achive such a fine piece of woodworking.

I love the Purpleheart you chose to use, it really sets off your wonderful dovetail hand work very well.

And I like the color purple alot myself.

I have truely enjoyed watching and reading along as you worked on and now completed your Excellent Workbench Adventure.

The Quaility of your woodworking are second to none.

Very well done CT, Congrats.

Looking forward to more of your work.
HE WHO LAUGHS LAST , LAUGHS BEST !!
LMAO LOL

Powermatic 3520B
The GOLD Standard Since 1921
I've just moved to a different house, still setting up my shop, and just starting to design workbench #2. This thread is a better resource for design ideas than any source available.

I enjoy the design aspect of woodworking almost as much as the woodworking itself - thanks for the inspiration and the awesome thread CT.
Just a bump to keep this thread on it`s legs for another bit. Nice bench, great thread.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Your bench turned out very nicely,it shows a lot of work and personality which is exactly what it should do. You'll remember the hard work every time you use it and it'll bring a lot of joy in the years to some. Very well done CT,Len
ex-INFILL MAGNET