CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
Steve N said:

Just a bump to keep this thread on it`s legs for another bit. Nice bench, great thread.

+1.

this is one of the best threads i've spent hours reading.

Thanks CT for all of the pictures, successes and failures along the way. it was a fun read.

almost time to have an anniversary party for your bench.

Hope you find peace, love and happiness,
bmg
I hope this thread stays alive, I'm in the design stage of my new bench and there sure seems like a lot of good info contained in this collection. If I only had time to read it all!
BC in CT said:

I hope this thread stays alive, I'm in the design stage of my new bench and there sure seems like a lot of good info contained in this collection. If I only had time to read it all!

I'm waiting for the movie to come out...
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
BC in CT said:

Look on the main subject page and you`ll see..........

"Woodworking Hand Tools (20 viewing)
Talk about hand tools—Yes, some hardy souls actually have hand planes and chisels in their shops showing signs of use, but no rust or dust. If you're one of them, then this forum is for you. Discussion can include hand tool types, uses, techniques, and history. As always, if you have tools to sell, please use the Tool Swap and Sell forum.

Threads/topics expire after 365 days. "

Note the last line, posts expire after 365 days. So each time someone adds to the post, even if it`s a message like this one it allows the post 365 days of life. Often on posts like this you will see someone just doing a bump for a longer life on it. Hint hint
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
This thread has gotten painful to read in threaded mode.
Jason
This one has probably been my favorite thread over the last year, and I'm jealous of and applaud CT's work here, but...

... I'm sorry, purple wood is just WRONG.
I'm not really an expert - I just play one on the internet.
Bump for a great thread about a great bench...

How's it treating you after some use, CT?
Andyman said:

Bump for a great thread about a great bench...

How's it treating you after some use, CT?

Absolutely! this one gets a bump forever....
Skip

MalletHead said:

... I'm sorry, purple wood is just WRONG.

But you have to admit, it's got character!

The bench has been working out very well. I can't imagine woodworking without it now!

What's funny is I've gotten so used to it, and the thrill of finally finishing it has mostly worn off now. So when some friends from work came over a couple days ago, it didn't immediately occur to me to show it off. Then without any prompting they go, "wow! look at that workbench! Where did you get that?" "I built it." "No way!" And I get the warm fuzzies all over again.
Turning impaired.
Quote:

really considered a tool tray. It would work better with the size and shape of the material I have to work with. But I don't think I want one because it would mean I couldn't clamp anything with like C clamps along that side.

Why not make a removable tool tray...one that can be clamped or bolted to the side of your bench when wanted and removed when it inteferes with a project.. I would not want a tray that couldn't be removed...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset