The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn
Nice looking shop.

I have seen several pole barn shops.

I don't understand how you can bury your posts in the dirt. Don't they eventually rot out?

I also don't get why the floor goes in last.

Maybe I just don't understand the construction concept?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Martin S. said:

Nice looking shop.

I don't understand how you can bury your posts in the dirt. Don't they eventually rot out?

I had the same thinking of you when I was researching my pole barn. Concrete will causes the posts to rot faster than dirt. My 6x6's are actually 3 laminated 2x6's which allows better chemical penetration and better lumber to be used. Mine building has 50 year warranty on treated lumber so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Also, all the builders here also do the concrete last. Seems backwards but the way they do it.
slambubba said:

[blockquote]Martin S. said:

Nice looking shop.

I had the same thinking of you when I was researching my pole barn. Concrete will causes the posts to rot faster than dirt. My 6x6's are actually 3 laminated 2x6's which allows better chemical penetration and better lumber to be used. Mine building has 50 year warranty on treated lumber so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Also, all the builders here also do the concrete last. Seems backwards but the way they do it.

[/blockquote]

I have the same concerns. Why is this method of construction OK for a barn, but not a house? I understand the strength you get from having a continuous cantilevered beam. Its great for side-loading so you need no other shear members. (or almost none).
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Mr_Mike said:

[blockquote]slambubba said:

Nice looking shop.

[/blockquote]

I have the same concerns. Why is this method of construction OK for a barn, but not a house? I understand the strength you get from having a continuous cantilevered beam. Its great for side-loading so you need no other shear members. (or almost none).

[/blockquote]

My 6x6 posts are also laminated 2x6. My posts are 100% above ground as I used Simpson concrete/column anchors to secure the posts to the concrete columns. My sidewalls/ posts aren't 16' like Mike's, I only have 8' sidewalls. I'm in a pretty dry climate so, I don't really think it was necessary but there might be a benefit long term. I spoke with several contractors and the guys who knew what they were talking about recommended using the column anchors.

With that being said, my father has built numerous pole barn/shops in the very wet Pacific NW. He direct buried all his treated posts into the concrete columns and never had any issues.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
They don't have to last forever, just longer than me.

Semis for outside back fill and pea gravel for concrete base of floor are due today or tomorrow.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BloomingtonMike said:

Setup my 16' scaffolding and installed a 2X plank and a portable winch. Also wired up the 3ph panel and installed an outlet - no more extension cord across the yard.

<snip>

Hey, that doesn't look like OSHA-compliant planking on that scaffold.

Aren't you skeered ?

Seriously tho..I covet your tractor. And the building.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
We got 20 tons of pea gravel in and started to level out the floor sub base.
Also put 20 tons of black dirt back filled around the building. Still need more but a great start.

I also got my CSST mounted in the new shop. It comes up some 2.5" conduit so I cut some holes in a PVC box and mounted the wall plate to it and attached it to the conduit.

Other line is a phone line from existing shop and a cat5 line to run to existing shop as the new shop has a line from the house. Tired of crappy wireless to the buildings so this will be a great place for an access point. Going to put in a POE gigabit switch in the new shop and a good access point.

Mike,

Is this around 14-15 cubic yards of pea gravel? I am a bit rusty.

How thick will you make the bed under the concrete?

The gigabit connection will be terrific!

Al
Blog: Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Frank Klausz, to The Schwarz (WIA 2010): "...If YOU guys keep doing what you’re doing, this thing is not gonna die..."
It is about 15.3 yards with a 1:1.3 ratio.

about 2" in the east side and about 2-3 in in the west area. That is on top of mostly very hard soil at grade. NW corner needed some fill to level it.

I am doing a radiant floor heat. Next I will put down 10mil poly sheeting, then 1.5" XPS extruded poly styrene 25psi foam insulation, then concrete mesh panels on chairs, and then the pex wire tied to the mesh then a 5" concrete pad is poured. I am placing 4 framing floor anchor cans in the floor as well for permanent pulling anchors - two at each end of the building.

This is the plan anyway

Lumber Yard® said:

[blockquote]Mr_Mike said:

[blockquote]slambubba said:

I had the same thinking of you when I was researching my pole barn. Concrete will causes the posts to rot faster than dirt. My 6x6's are actually 3 laminated 2x6's which allows better chemical penetration and better lumber to be used. Mine building has 50 year warranty on treated lumber so I'm sure they know what they're doing.....

[/blockquote]

Why is this method of construction OK for a barn, but not a house? I understand the strength you get from having a continuous cantilevered beam... (or almost none).

[/blockquote]

My 6x6 posts are also laminated 2x6. My posts are 100% above ground as I used Simpson concrete/column anchors to secure the posts to the concrete columns. My sidewalls/ posts aren't 16' like Mike's, I only have 8' sidewalls.....I spoke with several contractors and the guys who knew what they were talking about recommended using the column anchors.

With that being said, my father has built numerous pole barn/shops in the very wet Pacific NW. He direct buried all his treated posts into the concrete columns and never had any issues.

[/blockquote]

You fellas need to check out the blog on Hansen Pole Buildings website. Not saying the guy is right on everything but he discusses this kind of stuff ad nauseum. I have been heavily researching these things for several years now and I have personally built one pole barn myself, and have built severally professionally on a framing crew, and helped family members build several more.

I know a heck of a lot more about the theory of construction of pole buildings now than I ever did when I was actually building them. My take on the concerns above is this:

1. Any post will eventually rot out. Telephone poles are replaces almost purely for this reason. They, like pole barn posts, rot out at the ground line. I don't know the specifics why but that is where they rot the most to the point where they eventually lose structural integrity. There are precautions you can take like making sure the post is treated to .8 CCA. It should be marked on the posts you buy. Regular treated posts at the BORG will not be treated to .8 more like .5 so don't use them. Use only posts that are specifically treated for burying in the ground. Most pole barn builders and pole barn kit suppliers know this so you will usually get them if you go that route. Does not hurt to check though.

If you can get it past the building inspector I would use the 2.5 CCA stuff they use for saltwater docks and bulkheads. It has been banned from most residential use though plus if you live inland from the coast, you wont be able to find it. There are also wrappings and coatings you can put on the post where it will come into contact with the ground. Anecdotal evidence has shown this to be effective in preventing post rot.

2. The laminated posts vs. solid wood posts has been beaten to death and back to life again. Both sides swear by their opinion and condemn the other. My take is that once again, anecdotal evidence has proven both are effective. IF a solid post is properly treated I think it will last as long as any laminate post that has had its boards individually treated. With SYP posts they threat them until they wont take anymore chemical. That sounds like it is treated pretty deeply to me. Once again, the posts at the BORG are not treated this way. Make sure you know what lumber you are buying.

3. The posts being above ground raises some interesting questions too. Some say, and I tend to agree in theory at least, that putting posts on the concrete with Simpson ties or the similar Perma-Column/Sturdi-Wall products will negate one of pole framing biggest advantages. That being the physical nature of a post being buried in the ground (surrounded by concrete or gravel) will give the structure tremendous shear resistance to wind as well as uplift and whatever else puts stress on the structure. Differing construction methods can negate some of this such as plywood/OSB sheathing on the outside walls.

Once again though, anecdotal evidence has shown that this is of no great concern. Im pretty sure a tornado is the only thing that could move a pole building built with the posts set on top of the concrete. I have built one pole building this way and even though it seemed like it should not be stable, it surely was.

4. There are plenty of houses built like this throughout the country. I have only been a part of building one. Sometimes local code forbids pole framing for a residential dwelling though. It is still a durable method of construction if the proper precautions are taken with the posts.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".