Minimum roof pitch on shed lean-to...
Or add two (maybe 3) 6"X 6" post adjacent to the shed to a height necessary to get the desired head room, with doubled 2"X 8" headers. Gutters along the shed's roof's edge will handle 99% of the water; you won't want to be working in other 1% anyway.

It sounds like you have to deal with city code restrictions. In our locale we have the same 200sq.ft. code. But you should check, our code would include an ATTACHED lean-to in that space.
Making the lean-to stand-alone, I think, would be permissible.

Since your space is more than storage, I think you are working backwards. Instead of saying what is the highest height I can get with this configuration and working to that height, you should be saying I need this height to work, what are some ways I can get there.
From experience, shorting yourself on working height is a hassle.When I purchased our present house the detached garage had 7'6" rafter ties. After years of cussing the short height I spent some money and time to lift the building 2 more feet.
Alternate could be asphalt roll roofing. 36" wide,18" to the weather.
I do not know minimum pitch but probably 1" per foot.Has granular stone surface like shingles.Nailed at the top of the granular same as shingles and a caulk bead of asphalt cement at the bottom seam.Fast installation.
mike
I used 30# felt with sealed nails and put the shingles on that (sealed each nail- a hassle) on a 2/12 roof. Never leaked, but we don't get ice and snow like you guys.
If the felt is thick and sealed, and each nailed sealed with that roof caulk how could it leak on those certain severe times?
Splinter Puller said:

Build the shed taller = lean-to roof can be steeper.

This I like, if the city code doesn't have a height restriction or make that side of the shed higher, but that cuts down on the pitch of the shed roof.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Won't leak ,18" lap nails 3/4" above the seam and the lower edge sealed with roofing cement.Should be good for 10/15 years maybe more ,depending on weather conditions in his area.
mike
mpwedge said:

...what is the minimum roof pitch for asphalt shingles?

I have been using IKO Cambridge well before they changed the packaging from 25 to 30 year. Now they have 40 and, I think, 50 year in the same line. They all have a limited lifetime warranty with full replacement costs for a period of years. These are approved on a pitch as low as 2/12 with specified underlayment. I don't really care for their mineral faced ice/water because it bonds so well to both the roof deck and the shingles that stripping (two years later,only to change the color) was a total nightmare. I prefer Jiffy Seal ice and water shield; it has a top layer similar to the blue poly tarps, except it's green.

Another option, that hasn't been suggested yet, would be to put a "shed roof" (one sloping plane) on the shed, and another "shed roof" on the lean to sloping the opposite direction. Basically you would be framing a gable roof with the shed/lean to wall supporting the ridge. If local by-laws dictate, they could be tied together with only a ridge vent if necessary.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Why not just start the high side of the lean-to roof farther up the shed roof?  More slope and also higher at the lower edge?
(08-05-2015, 11:27 PM)mpwedge Wrote: Here is the basic idea of what I'm planning... The lean-to will be used by my boys for working on their cars, so we're trying to get the max height in order to open the hood, etc. The shed itself needs to be no more than 200sq.ft. and the lean to can't be more than that either.
The lead to is facing north and the shed is behind the house and we're tucked behind  hill too, so it does;t really get too windy.

I think youd be better off laying your lean-to roof onto the garage roof. you could get more pitch and height
If you are trying to respond the the OP, FYI this thread is about 1 1/2 years old.....
(02-02-2017, 08:27 AM)DRAHandyman Wrote: Why not just start the high side of the lean-to roof farther up the shed roof?  More slope and also higher at the lower edge?

That is how I have done it when I wanted more clearance and slope than the minimum.  Part of that depends on the trusses but if you ar building it from scratch have them engineered in that manner. it is a much simpler solution  and you roof is still structurally sound 

joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy