GFI
attempting to install GFI in bath room.

My intention is to replace weak 15a GFI breaker with several GFI outlets. On replacing first outlet in line as a stand alone (no downstream GFI protection from this outlet) hot contacts into the 'line' connectors, downstream also into the 'line' connectors, nothing attached to the 'load' connectors (no downline GF protection wanted from this unit). The outlet itself is DEAD. Outlet GFI not tripped. Breaker GFI not tripped.

I have tried 3 GFI units wired as above, all with same result.

circuit is grounded with ground wire connected to the unit.

GFI breaker not yet replaced, but I cannot see what that would have to do with the problem since the line is hot.

Do I have three faulty Chinese made GFI's? If not, what may be the issue?

thanks,
Tom

Edit: Outlets all had the 'ready' light on.
To start with, remove the downstream wire just to isolate the cause.

Some GFCIs won't reset unless power is off. Read your instructions.

Also, replace with common outlet and test hot/neutral/ground are correct with one of those testers.

Verify it is really the first in line too, but that really shouldn't matter.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
anwalt said:

attempting to install GFI in bath room.

My intention is to replace weak 15a GFI breaker with several GFI outlets. On replacing first outlet in line as a stand alone (no downstream GFI protection from this outlet) hot contacts into the 'line' connectors, downstream also into the 'line' connectors, nothing attached to the 'load' connectors (no downline GF protection wanted from this unit). The outlet itself is DEAD. Outlet GFI not tripped. Breaker GFI not tripped.

I have tried 3 GFI units wired as above, all with same result.

circuit is grounded with ground wire connected to the unit.

GFI breaker not yet replaced, but I cannot see what that would have to do with the problem since the line is hot.

Do I have three faulty Chinese made GFI's? If not, what may be the issue?

thanks,
Tom

Edit: Outlets all had the 'ready' light on.

If i am reading this right, you have a GFI breaker protecting a GFI outlet??? If so take the breaker off or the outlet. Do not have both.
John T.
If the breaker was "weak" to start with, maybe when you shut it off to wire the G.F.I.C. it became...broken. (Notice I'm not suggesting you accidently tripped the breaker to save a trip to the basement.)There are several other possibilities but I would check to insure there is power, neutral, and ground in the box you're swapping the receptacle in first.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
You will be allot happier with a good gfci breaker. Also like mentioned a gfci outlet on a gfci breaker will cause lots of grief.

I wonder where your neutrals are hooked up. As for bad gfci that's pretty common.
Open neutral?

Twinn
Will post for food.
The entire process you're going through would be easier if you had a multi-meter to make sure:

there's 120 VAC between the hot leg and the neutral as well as the hot leg and the ground.

Have you tried that?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

You may have mixed up the LINE wires with the LOAD wires inside the box. It's easy to do.

Mike
Clockman,

I may not have been clear. I will be replacing the GFI breaker. As I mentioned, my plan is to replace the breaker with GFI outlets.

Also, with the ready light on there has to be current to the GFI, but on plugging in operable appliances (drill, light) the outlet are dead.

Volt meter shows 110v (or 120v if one is of the 'new school') to the GFI.

Still stumped.
Open neutral.

Twinn
Will post for food.