Tool tote
I'm building a tool tote for my daughter & son-in-law for Christmas...we were getting them settled into their house a couple of months ago, and realized the really don't have any "homeowner tools", so it will also be somewhat stocked.

1/2" poplar from the Borg all around.

I cut out the ends and match planed them...

I dovetailed the ends to the bottom, and rabbeted the side pieces to lap over the bottom and ends. I plowed a groove first so I'd have a consistent depth reference...

Then used my shoulder plane to finish out the rabbet...

I'm going to add trays on top, so I also rabbeted the top of each side. This time I just clamped a reference edge on top and did the whole thing with my shoulder plane.

I think I need to make myself a rabbet plane with a depth stop.

Cut a 1 1/4" dowel for the handle, and I'm gluing up as I post. More to come...

Thanks for looking!

David
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Here's the case...I wedged the handle ends and chamfered all of the corners.

Trays are next!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
That's coming along beautifully! It's a project I'll make sooner than later because my 10-year old boy is interested in woodworking (Yay!) and we'll build one together to store his tools as he gets them. Thanks for the pix!
DCarr10760 said:

That's coming along beautifully! It's a project I'll make sooner than later because my 10-year old boy is interested in woodworking (Yay!) and we'll build one together to store his tools as he gets them. Thanks for the pix!

My little guy just turned 1 and gets wide eyed every time he peeks in the garage. Can't wait to do something like this with him.

to the OP, that's looking great! I'll definitely remember the wedged handle idea...
Benny

This is a project I am working on with my Grandson, hopefully we can finish before long. I haven't been able to work in the shop much this past year due to health related reasons, but hopefully on the mends now.

Steve
bennybmn said:

My little guy just turned 1 and gets wide eyed every time he peeks in the garage. Can't wait to do something like this with him.

Start now! Let him use a block plane to chamfer the corners, make him a little mallet to drive dowels into a couple of the joints and/or wedges into the handle. Make or buy a couple of little tools to store in it, and he'll be hooked!
Very nice tote1 And congrats to your daughter and son-in-law on their house.

I built my daughter's tool box for her when she was about eight. She has a better stock of hand tools than I do at this point.
Rodney
So do they know how to use hand tools or ask you to learn?

I hope so so you can pass down what you know and like to do.

Good job on helping them.

Arlin

O and also you will hopefully making things for the grandbaby too.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Finally got a chance to work on the tote some more...just about finished.

That's the saw he's already got...not my idea.

The tills have sliding tops...picture hanging hardware included...

I do need some ideas for a "design feature" though...I made the tills too tall, and I can barely get my fingers under. Any thoughts on the practicality of flattening the bottom of the handle a bit? It's 1 1/4" dowel.

Thanks for looking!

David
David-

Daughter and I were just exclaiming the cleverness of your design. I think the little till/boxes are great. As far as thinning the handle a bit. I'd rasp off a gentle arch, but it depends on how heavily you plan to load the tote. The strength of the handle depends on its depth a lot more than on its width so a little caution is in order.

Phil