SketchUp 2016
In case anyone is interested, SketchUp 2016 was released a couple of hours ago. If you're running Win 10 or Mac El Capitan you should upgrade because older versions aren't fully compatible with these newer operating systems. Go here to get it.
I know you are the guru and such, but is there a real reason for free user to upgrade?

Frankly I just upgraded from v7.1 and the only reason is because I couldn't open a lot of the models floating around. I liked v7.1 because it was the last free version that could open dwg/dxf's. That was valuable to me once upon a time. Not so much any longer.

thanks
chris
Okay, answering my own question...

The ability to inference to the center of a circle is huge. I used to have drop a point at the center of a circle to do that. The other inferencing tools look interesting. They will require some playing around.....

Now if we could just get them to let us permanently dismiss that opening window.....

I currently use PTFB to do this but I suspect the free version of PTFB isn't going to behave well in the furure beecause it's already fairly old (2008?).

cheers
chris
The opening splash window is a very tiny inconvenience for getting SketchUp for free. The easiest way to get rid of it is to get the pro version.

In addition to the new inferencing stuff, some of which you discovered, it is fully compatible with Win 10 and El Capitan. Earlier versions aren't. There are some other new features although most of them are added to the pro version.
Is it OK with the older Mac OS (?), I haven't upgraded to El Capitan.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
How old is your operating system, Fred?

From the SketchUp system requirements, it requires OSX10.9 (Mavericks) or later.

For the PC users it requires Win 7 or later but SU2015 did, too.
I'm 10.9.5, so I'm good. Thanks.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Excellent!
DaveR1 said:

In addition to the new inferencing stuff, some of which you discovered, it is fully compatible with Win 10 and El Capitan. Earlier versions aren't.

What was not fully compatible with early versions of Windows?
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

Many users were having major issues due to incompatibilities. Pro users especially had problems when using LayOut as well.

If you've been managing with the older version and don't want to upgrade, you might as well stick with what you have. Just the new inferencing tools would be enough for me if I hadn't already been using SU2016.