Shooting bubinga....
end grain is like shooting rocks.

Has anyone actually accomplished this magical feat? I succeeded in getting my LN62 to skip right across without removing any actual wood. As a test, I squared up some purpleheart, which is hard enough-- no problem. The bubinga just laughs.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Maybe a bigger caliber.
If you think bubinga is hard, try bloodwood. Not even close.
Oh my gosh, I made a replacement rear tote for my tiny Fulton/Sargent 407 plane, from Bubinga. I could barely rasp the end-grain, much less shoot it!
Chris
This is why I stick to my domestics
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
Is sandpaper a hand tool? I think so
Janka Hardness:

Bubinga: 2410
Purpleheart: 2520
Bloodwood: 2900

If you're doing purpleheart OK, I don't see why you are having issues with the bubinga. How thick is the piece you're trying to shoot? How thick was the purpleheart? Could be simply a problem with mass of your LN62 vs. the thickness of your bubinga.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

Janka Hardness:

If you're doing purpleheart OK, I don't see why you are having issues with the bubinga. How thick is the piece you're trying to shoot? How thick was the purpleheart? Could be simply a problem with mass of your LN62 vs. the thickness of your bubinga.

Yeah, weird. Maybe it's not all about hardness. Dunno. [Shrug] Both pieces are maybe 5/8" thick, and and inch and a half or so wide.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Aram said:

[blockquote]AHill said:

Janka Hardness:

Yeah, weird. Maybe it's not all about hardness. Dunno. [Shrug] Both pieces are maybe 5/8" thick, and and inch and a half or so wide.

[/blockquote]

Sharp? When my blades have some use after an 8000 hone, I can get slicing action by, for lack of better term, sawing at an extreme angle. Bashing directly into the end of a board is a lot of work for me.
When I saw your post, I didn't remember ever having trouble shooting bubinga. I had some in the shop so I went out and tried it again. LV shooting plane set for ~.0015; board 7/8" thick by 5" wide. Takes some grunt but not a problem.
Cheers ...

Lyn Disbrow: Born in America ... a long long time ago