What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ?
What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ?
brass brush?
Not sure of the best. I'd consider a toothbrush and some kind of cleaning compound, starting with dish soap and working up to one of the gentle abrasive cleaners (Soft Scrub, Bon Ami), but stopping there.
Soak the knurled part overnight in mineral spirits. Use an old toothbrush and WD-40 to clean brass parts. Use a small brass bristle brush and WD-40 for steel parts.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
Welcome to the list, Andrew. You will find a lot of good information, opinion, and advice. I love to hit the Search feature.

Contributions are always welcome. That's how we learn.

Some may say a patinated old tool is better, but mineral spirits cleans up most mistakes, like tar.
Welcome to WoodNet handtools Andrew

I use a power brass wire wheel because I do not know any better and it is fast too.

I have soaked them in WD40 for a few days (Mostly because I forgot about them) and them used a brass brush too.

So what do they go to?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
- what is on the knurling? Rust?
if so, then a few hour soak in citric acid or vinegar plus some brass brushing.
Greasy grunge? Mineral spirits or similar solvent. and some brushing.
Could be some careful filing - if you have some very small files (needle, swiss pattern) is required to get the crud out.
that's all I got.

te
I like starting at Vinegar. Mostly it's dirt and grunge that I find embedded there. Vinegar works like magic often, and has little downside, except that faint smell which quickly goes away.

If that doesn't get it, then I move up the food chain. Diesel fuel is another soak that gets little love here. It's fairly hands off, drop em in a bucket, few days later peek to see if they don't look purty
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Hot soapy water and a stiff brush works well.
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com
Machinist friend said a firm toothbrush and Comet. Make a paste with the Comet and a tiny bit of water or vinegar so it sticks well.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com