Holtey Iron: What's It Worth?
Any idea what the fair market value is on this (2")?

Holtey's genius is in the construction of his plane bodies. The iron is likely worth the same as any premium iron (Hock, Veritas, etc.).

That's my opinion anyway.
For somebody that has a Holtey plane and needs/wants a genuine replacement or spare, I'd think a premium to a Hock is warranted. There aren't a lot of Holtey irons floating around- I would presume.

te (edit for speeling)
thomasegan said:

For somebody that has a Holtey plane and needs/wants a genuine replacement or spare, I'd think a premium to a Hock is warrented. There aren't a lot of Holtey irons floating around- I would presume.

te

+1

Sounds like an eBay item with reserve at a Hock price, or something you take to a MWTCA meet. Problem is not all that very many fudge own Holtey planes so the market is small and hard to find.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
This iron fits my LN #4 perfectly. I believe Karl Holtey made aftermarket blades although I don't know which planes he made them for (I would guess Stanley, and we now know, LN). I am assuming its an A2, but he also made S53 irons. Since this iron only has Holtey on it, I am guessing its the less expensive A2. The only apparent difference between this iron and my LN iron is the cap iron slot: the Holtey has a longer slot.
You're right on all counts. And if it were S53 it would have an "S" on it.
Well its going on that very popular auction site tonight: that will answer the question of worth definitively.
Quote:

I believe Karl Holtey made aftermarket blades

That's true..Several years ago, I bought a new Holtey 2" blade from Woodcraft on their clearance table.....priced at about $40.00 IIRC.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Sssshhh: don't say that too loud: I am about to retire on what it is going to sell for on that very popular auction site