1/2 vs 3/4 water pipe
Our house is plumbed with 3/4 copper. It takes soo long for hot water to reach the upstairs bathroom. If I replace as much 3/4 as I can reach in the basement with smaller pipe, will that cause grief due to smaller volume pushing larger volume? Thanks. --Peter
A compromise would be to home run 1/2" pex lines from each location back to a manifold at the heater.
WoodNET... the new safespace
No, that is not a problem.

The code relates the required pipe size to the number of "fixture units" it supplies. It is best to respect the code.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
Thanks for the suggestion. About 15 feet of 3/4 hot water runs across the basement ceiling, then goes up in the wall. So it will be easy to run a smaller pex across the ceiling, but I'm wondering if pushing the heavier column of water up the wall will slow things down. Our pressure (private well) is about 30 psi.
The water won't lift the whole column. The 1/2" line will flow into the 3/4" one, mix with it, and flow out the top, and the flow will be higher than having 1/2" the whole way. It likely will take longer for the temp. to reach it's max., however, vs. having 1/2" the whole way. PEX would be my choice if I were going to the trouble of replacing lines. No soldering, likely higher flow, easy to snake around obstacles, and hot water faster at the other end.

John
Thanks, John. I always appreciate your replies to people. --Peter
If you put in a circulating system
A recirc is the correct solution to your problem. Preferably one that is time and temp based.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

1/2" pex measures 3/8" ID. The hot water would get to that bathroom sooner but at a loss of volume.
blackhat said:

A recirc is the correct solution to your problem. Preferably one that is time and temp based.

Does this really make sense? All you save is a little water and even less fuel/power. Doesn't it still take about the same time for hot water to get to the outlet. And you need to buy and install a pump and return line to do it. What am I missing that makes this a good option?

John