Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments?
Looking for a chain hoist for my garage.

Do woodnetters have comments on HF chain hoists, other than that they are not expensive.

Alternatively, what should one look for in a used/craigs list chain hoist?

thx for your comments.
tom
I've had a 2 ton HF one for about 7 or 8 years. I use it to lift logs, pull logs occasionally, pick up or drag machinery, etc. Some of the logs weighed well over a ton. It's always worked fine.

John
I have no experience with them but if I was to buy I would look it over very closely. Chinese steel and iron castings are not noted for quality

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
A friend has a 1/2 ton HF chain hoist for several years now. He repairs small engines like snow machines ,lawn tractors etc.I never heard him complain.
mike
Have no experience with them whatsoever, but just wanted to pass along a comment a co-worker once made about HF. He says his rule of thumb on HF tools is; "If it can kill or maim you if (when) it fails, don't buy it at HF."
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

HF has the 1-ton rated units on sale right now for $55. I don't know how you can beat that. I don't like the lever types, at least when trying to accurately lift or place a load. The lever types are useful for pulling and squaring and stuff like that, out in the field at least.

With one caveat: if you intend to lift loads approaching the rated load of 1-ton, I'd go for the 2-ton unit, which is only a little more money (about $70). It is HF, after all.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Seeing no complaints about the HF chain hoist I will take a chance.
2 ton hoist for 500 to 1000 lifts.

thx for replies
tom
that true with stuff from lots of different manufacturers.

I see stuff at other stores that looks identical to the stuff at HF for about the same price ....might even come out of the same factory.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I've got the one ton hoist and love it. You won't be disappointed.