Leather Strop for grinder
I'm thinking about trying to glue some on a wheel of a slow speed grinder for chisels and gouges. I'm thinking of making an 8" diameter wheel from MDF and gluing the strop to it.

Has anybody here done that? If so, how did it work for you?
I run an MDF disc with saddle skirt leather glued on, in my drill press at low speed. Works fantastic.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Yep, several people here on the hand tool forum have done it besides me...It will work fine if you true the wheel ON the grinder {using the rotation of the motor as a lathe}...On the one I made, I did a long scarf joint to reduce the wheel "bump" on every every rotation.

I would also put the "rough side" of the leather "out" because it holds the compound better.. if I assume correctly, your slo-speed grinder runs at 1725RPM, and if that is correct, I would not make the wheel 8" diameter because of the high "rim speed"...instead, I would make it 6". Heat will build up in the tool very quickly if the rim speed is too fast...

Another "tip"...I prefer to finish drilling the hole in the wheel using a router bit {or in my case, an end mill} of the shaft size required...It will bore the hole for a closer "fit" on the grinder shaft. Pilot drill first with a bit 1/32" smaller than the router bit..... twist drills usually drill holes 20thou or so larger than the bit diameter, and you want it a closer fit so as to run as smooth as possible.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I'd make the diameter 4" or really, as as small as is practical. I'm running a 5.5" wheel on an 850 rpm motor and it is still too fast I think. I'm too lazy to setup a reduction pulley.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
I've often thought of doing this, too. I have an extra hand crank grinder waiting to be used for something. But what's better: putting the leather on the side of the wheel or on the edge?
I laminated pieces of thick leather to make a wheel, which I run on a small slow speed motor. it works a treat. Make sure the wheel rotates away from you for safe operation.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
If you have money to burn, buy one. $60

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZOB..._1_5&sr=8-5
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I'm going to be offering some 4" diameter vegetable tanned leather discs for sale on the S&S sometime soon..I have more than I need. About five of them laminated will make about a 1" thick wheel...I don't have them ready yet, tho...As Axehandle said, 4" diameter wheels work very well...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Gregory of Sherwood Forest said:

If you have money to burn, buy one. $60

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZOB..._1_5&sr=8-5

Got one. Well worth the money. I tried to make one out of a leather belt from my 1 x 42 sander that had become just a strip of leather one day. I tried to do the scarf joint that Jack suggested, but could never get the joint as flat as I wanted, so I gave up. This wheel is very well made.

I agree with Greg - it's not cheap. But neither are the 1 x 42 belts they make and I've managed to destroy a few of those already. This leather wheel is pretty indestructible and will probably still be around long after I'm gone.

Steve
I use on that I made. Probably cost <$5. Works great. Make sure you true the wheel before you glue on the leather.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.