Fleamarket tool gloat
I found one of these http://lumberjocks.com/topics/31015 An A. A. Wood & Sons "universal" hollow auger. The one I found doesn't have the depth stop but is almost as clean.
A man of foolish pursuits
I like mine. You'll need a spoke pointer to help get it started, the second tool shown here-

Phil,

Suppose someone had the hollow auger but not the spoke pointer. Could s/he take a rasp and bevel all around the end of the stock to get the same effect as the spoke pointer? Or is it hopeless without that second tool?
I've used a drawknife to get mine started. Its a tool that requires some practise to get it working well.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Bill-

Anyway you could trim the stock so you can get the hollow auger started would work. You'd need to fuss with it a bit to keep it centered if you want the hollow auger to center the round tenon. A spoke pointer is just a quick and easy way to do it. A couple of turns of the brace and you have a nice bevel ready to accept the hollow auger. It takes longer to clamp up the stock than it does to bevel it. You can steer a hollow auger a bit so if you're off center you can correct it, but it makes for harder work. I think I paid less than $20 for my spoke pointer, but a quick search on *Bay only showed them for triple that price. You can buy one new for that price from Lehman's, but I suspect you can find one for what I paid if you keep your eyes peeled. The real solution is a lathe, but where's the fun in that.

Phil