Give Me Some Ideas, Ladies & Gentlemen
I went to a viewing today for an on-line auction that ends on Thursday. While there, i saw two pieces of wood that the auctioneer had listed as wide oak. I turned on of the boards over and observed some beautiful curly maple - lots and lots of curls. No one else looked at the boards, so I expect to have a better chance of getting them.

The boards are slightly over 6' in length, about 18" wide, and are 4/4. I have no idea what I would make with such wide pieces of wood, so I'm looking for suggestions - blanket chest augmented with walnut, something else augmented with walnut, harvest table augmented with cherry. What do you suggest?

r2
Doors on a walnut cabinet. If the grain could be matched they would ale a stunning table top. I love curly maple. They would certainly centrepiece some article.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

When I walk up to a piece of furniture that has a large expanse of figured wood, the larger panels jump out so much more than stiles and rails or other smaller pieces.....

I save my best large boards for the large panels of a piece and orient the grain in a pleasing manner. The boards you are talking about would be the table top or large adjoining doors on a hutch or sideboard....

With those dimensions, I'd be thinking a table top out of them....

Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Just buy the wood. You do not need to use it now. Use it when the time it right.

At least you will then have that choice.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek Cohen said:

Just buy the wood. You do not need to use it now. Use it when the time it right.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree with Derek. Buying wood like that is rather like buying art or good antiques. The time to buy it is when you find it, and don't worry about where you will put it (or in this case what you will build with it). Just buy it.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

Derek Cohen said:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Exactly what I plan to do. I once bought a piece of flame birch, 4/4 - 16" wide - 8' long, and held on to it for about 10 years before finding the item I wanted to make using it. I don't think I can wait that long for these pieces of wood.

Thanks to all for your responses.

r2
I have some wood that I really want to find the right project for. Makes me happy to have it though
Those could be case sides for a highboy.
I, too, would buy it and store it.

I never really know what I'm going to make with some of the lumber I get. I mean, I do often buy lumber for specific projects, but it's a magical moment when I start planning a really interesting piece and realize that I already have the PERFECT wood on hand.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Paul K. Murphy said:

Those could be case sides for a highboy.

Yep, or any other piece of case furniture. Being able to use a single board for the sides and top would be dreamy
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home