Making A Strop
Hello All,
Should you use the Smooth side or the Fuzzy side of the Leather when making a Strop? I plan on gluing it to a piece of 3/4 material. Should I use MDF, Plywood, Hardwood, Melamine, Glass ? All are available. I have been using MDF, without the Leather. Seems ok, using the Green Veritas Compound.
Thanks
You can do either. If you plan to continue using the green compound, conventional advice is to glue it with the rough side out. The roughness holds onto the compound better. If you plan to just strop on plain leather without compound, glue the smooth side up.

Mine is rough side out, glued to a piece of 3/4 plywood. I use the same green compound that you have. Works well for me.
Thank You
I did not glue mine to the backer board but rather just made a wood block clamp to hold it at one end of the board. The reason is that the smooth side of the horse butt leather can be used without compound for a very fine finish. With a turn of a screw I can flip it over. The strop is a good 15" long (from Tools for Working Wood).
I also use the Tools for Working Wood horse butt strop, 99% of the time on the smooth side without any compound whatsoever, as my last step to get exceptionally sharp edges. I simply lay it on my flat bench and hold it down at one end with one hand while pulling the chisel's edge toward me. It works great.
I believe in the 100% cash down program, and in continuing to be DEBT FREE in 2016.
Flesh side out (rough side).
Always.
The smooth side will not hold the abrasive.
I glued mine to a piece of 3/4" oak flooring.
Thanks for all the responses, did not consider the use of the smooth side without abrasive. Also did not consider it would not hold the abrasive. I glued a piece to 3/4 Poplar Ply 77 adhesive spray, have a second piece I can use if needed.
I sharpen with oil stones and strop often.

The smooth side will hold abrasives. Apply a little mineral oil to the surface and the green compond goes on fine. After a while, the strop gets gunked up, I wipe it off with mineral spirits and reapply green compound.

I have never used the rough side, and have really never seen the need. Have always glued the rough side down to the wood.
I agree with Scoony, the smooth side holds compound just fine. I glued mine to a piece of pallet wood that I flattened. It's worked well for a couple of years. I used neatsoot oil and Lee Valley compound on mine.
Neatsfoot Oil? Never thought about using that. I have had a small jar of that oil forever and have finally used a little on some old boots. I may have to try that on the strop