Probably not a real D-22 saw, but I like it!
About 5 weeks ago I was on a business trip, and got to stop by a couple of antique malls in NE Indiana. I got a coffin-plane, 2 Disston D8's, a wrecked Simonds saw, and this next guy....

"The Revenant" (I just read the book, haven't seen the movie), a saw back from the dead. It was basically a piece of charcoal when I got it, and I was dreading even trying to clean it. But I thought it might be a rarer Disston D-22 find. After cleaning, I see it's a generic Warranted Superior model, but I really like the lines of it. Also, it has turned out to be a very nice crosscut saw. The plate is of a fairly heavy cast steel, which probably never was "pit free" even 100 years ago, but the nice thing was that after all the wear and cleaning, the teeth were basically down to a 'no set' condition, so I was able to add only just enough tooth-set to suit my "prissy" small-time project work. The saw bites in aggressively with the substantial weight.

In fact this has got me pondering the wholesale movement to thinner plates and "lightweight" designs on 26" saws. After using this saw, I think cost-savings -- not just user enjoyment -- were part of spec'ing down the steel content.

Chris
still a great find
i have a d23 and it was my dads and im over 65 its a great saw
and its in great shape
thing is he had a panther head
no one seems to know what happened to it
south vietnam war collage
The handle suggests it's high-quality. You may well have a saw made by a smaller company that used the generic "Warranted Superior" medallions. I wonder if you'd find some signs of an etch if you lightly shined up that saw blade? '

Regardless, that's a nice saw. It'll make a great user.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop