hand tool publications
I was just looking at the Mortise & Tenon website and at the description of their first issue, and while it looks really interesting, I'm thinking that I'm interested in something a little more hands-on. Are there any magazines out there that devote a decent percentage of their content to hand tools and techniques?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Woodworking magazine, since folded into Popular Woodworking, had a hand tool focus. While it's not available as a magazine subscription, its archive is an excellent intro to hand tools, and it's cheap.
My opinion is that Megan is repositioning Popular Woodworking magazine to be more like Woodworking magazine was.
I do try to have at least one hand-tools-only build in every issue, and we regularly have technique articles on meat-powered tools...but we're not going full-on hand tool. (But Woodworking Magazine wasn't all hand tools, either!)

And I shouldn't say this because it in no way helps feed my cats...but if I were new to hand-tool woodworking, I'd want to read a) The Anarchist's Tool Chest b) The Essential Woodworker and c) The Woodworker: The Charles H. Hayward years, all of which are published by my friend (and former boss) Schwarz at Lost Art Press.

But of course Pop Wood is THE magazine to get ;-)
That's kinda the problem with a lot of the content that's out there now - from print, to video, to web. It's all tool or - single skill (sharpening OR dovetails OR M&T joinery)focused. It's been a problem for hobbyists like me trying to learn this skill for many, many years. I went to the first WWIA conference and swore I'd never go back - for the same reason (big focus on tools). I understand tools - and have some skill - but putting it all together for a project, that's the trick and the hurdle I couldn't overcome easily.

I say "all" of the content out there is focused on tools or single skills, but that's not really true. I think Rob Cosman has a site where he builds projects, and I don't know if the Hand Tool School is still around??

But Paul Sellers has a website - where he teaches hand tool skills by projects that start simple (tool tote and wall clock) and moves toward more complex projects (chair, stool, hanging tool cabinet).

If you want to learn tools and how to use them, I can't recommend it enough. Best woodworking money I ever spent.

Get some pine scrap and go through his Wall Clock project on YouTube. There's hours upon hours of expert instruction for free.... Then decide how to best spend your money.
Joshua is really into it:
http://woodandshop.com/
Have not spent nearly enough time poking around there.
Not a magazine, but....there it is.
Ag
I really liked watching Tom Fidgen with the Unplugged Woodshop. Check out his videos. I thinks the videos show some nice overview of tool use, and absolutely awesome music to go with it. Unfortunately his site is now pay to view. Freebie videos here
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Alan S: thanks for that link to Woodworking magazine DVD. Just ordered a copy. Thanks again.
elinourrumming said:

I do try to have at least one hand-tools-only build in every issue, and we regularly have technique articles on meat-powered tools...but we're not going full-on hand tool. (But Woodworking Magazine wasn't all hand tools, either!)

And I shouldn't say this because it in no way helps feed my cats...but if I were new to hand-tool woodworking, I'd want to read a) The Anarchist's Tool Chest b) The Essential Woodworker and c) The Woodworker: The Charles H. Hayward years, all of which are published by my friend (and former boss) Schwarz at Lost Art Press.

But of course Pop Wood is THE magazine to get ;-)

^^^What she said.^^^

PWW has the most hand-tool content per issue that I've seen recently, but Megan is right--the real instruction is in the books. I would add The Joiner and Cabinet Maker to that list of books. It's edited by Schwarz and available from Lost Art Press. That book really opened my eyes to a lot of important hand-tool information. More importantly, it was written when machines weren't even an option in most shops, so the author consistently shows how to get the most out of a basic set of hand tools.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Wow! now there's a list of stuff to study. Thanks everybody!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.