Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS.
Grabbed this a couple weeks ago, just because it was such an interesting piece. The plate is stamped "C. Disston PHILADA". I'm going to have to do a little research on that, as dates don't immediately spring to mind for that stamp. Pretty early, I'm guessing.

It appears to have been adapted from a saw plate. The handle is double pinned, brass and iron, and is well shaped, with a round button where it meets the plate. The plate is in good condition (other than the reshaping, of course) and it is actually still a bit sharp.

Just interesting. What's your take?

PICS:

Your thoughts? Ever see anything like this before?

EDIT TO ADD:
I found out that it is indeed a production tool. Anyone care to guess what it is used for?

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Gregory of Sherwood Forest said:

Just interesting. What's your take?

Place a couple of those in the hands of Varmints and watch them destroy a house full of furniture.

pretty sure that's a butcher's implement
I saw a drawing of an early saw from the builders of the piramids. Your saw looks like the drawing to me.
I got one a few years back.

I have seen them advertised on ebay as a "civil war surgeon's saw", like for amputations.

I think I bought mine because it was unique.

I'd love to see proof it was used for civil war surgery.

Let me know if you find it.

Someone else has suggested it might make a good bread knife/saw.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/Diss...wKnife.asp
There was one for sale at the Ohio chapter of SAPFM last weekend. We all played with it, but it went back home with the seller.
Semper Audere!
Andrew Jordan said:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/Diss...wKnife.asp

Great link, but I'm guessing it won't stop people from trying to sell these as Civil War amputation devices. From the article, it seems that the company wasn't even started until the war was about over.

Steve
Very odd that the stamp (looks like a stamp and not an etch?) is upside-down from the position of the teeth, which is very odd for a saw maker.

It's an awfully thin saw to be cutting on the push stroke, too. But it's hard to tell without picking it up, I suppose.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Bibliophile 13 said:

Very odd that the stamp (looks like a stamp and not an etch?) is upside-down from the position of the teeth, which is very odd for a saw maker.

It's an awfully thin saw to be cutting on the push stroke, too. But it's hard to tell without picking it up, I suppose.

As a butcher's tool, it may need a touch of flex. Knife for flesh & connective tissues. Saw for the occasional bone.

According to the catalog reprints on wkfinetools, it was a pretty short lived venture.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin