Another HVLP question
I have never sprayed a finish before but would like to try. The latest Rockler brochure has an HVLP system for $99.
Thinking that it's a cheap way to try spraying, but if it's a PITA to use, it will just sit on a shelf.

Anyone have or use one of the these?
Do you have a good compressor? If so the gun looks like it would be an easy way to try HVLP.

I've got a good HVLP gun and it puts a lot more material on the surface and a lot less in the air than a standard gun.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
johndi said:

I have never sprayed a finish before but would like to try. The latest Rockler brochure has an HVLP system for $99.
Thinking that it's a cheap way to try spraying, but if it's a PITA to use, it will just sit on a shelf.

Anyone have or use one of the these?

FYI, that system is a single stage (I think, but it might be two). The same system is sold under a few different labels, including...

Harbor Freight's Chicago Electric brand! So get out your 25% coupons.

It also shows up as the house brand in a few semi-national tool store chains. There is also a unit sold with Campbell Hausfield (spelling?) that looks suspiciously like the same design, but with a little different trim package on the plastic turbine unit.

And, even weirder, there is a turbine HVLP gun sold by Apollo that is a dead-ringer for the gun on the $99 system. With one exception, they have added a quick-connect fitting in place of the gaping maw where you would otherwise friction fit the hose.

I've been spending too much time in the evening prowling around the web, looking at HVLP turbine systems.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
If you have any intent of spraying most of your pieces, and of wanting to spray everything from shellac to paint, I suggest you look at a higher end turbine or a compressor and HVLP conversion gun. If you just want to spray shellac, lacquer, and other low viscosity products, that sprayer may work just fine, but I think it's going to fall short for higher viscosity WB products and be pretty much unsuitable for paints. IMO, a compressor driven conversion gun will give you the most versatility for your money. However, if portability is a requirement, then those are out and you should focus on turbine units.

John