How to determine which finish on furniture ?
I have done 2 refinishing projects in last 2 months, dinning table and living room chairs.
Now I will be doing  2 stools .

My challenge is how to determine what finish is on so I can get proper stripprer (or chemicals)

Is there a trick to what finish?
Both stools have clear finish.
Most commercial finishes are lacquer.
Ge Bob Flexners book  "Understanding Wood Finishing", tells you all you need to know.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

KleanStrip Premium stripper takes off just about any furniture finish.  It takes off typical clear coats fast, very fast.  

John
(11-07-2016, 06:42 PM)jteneyck Wrote: KleanStrip Premium stripper takes off just about any furniture finish.  It takes off typical clear coats fast, very fast.  

John

John

I used KleanStrip Premium striper on the kitchen table I am working on , unfortunately it did not remove the clear coat in 1st application. Then I used Lacquer thinner as an experiment,I was not sure about the clear coat. after that application I applied the stripper, which took off the clear coat, I am still working on the remaining spots in corners etc.

I know one striper cannot be once size fits all, I was just trying to figure out how I can determine the what kind of clear coat before I start working on it.
Jack, that's the first first person account I've heard of where KS Premium didn't remove the finish on the first try.  It must have been some type of catalyzed finish, and a really good one at that.  I know they make one for epoxy based finishes; perhaps that one would do a better job for you should you still have a need.  

John
Same here.  In the hundreds of pieces I have redone I have never had KS premium fail to strip the finish.  Other type of stripper have failed and even an lower level Kleen stripper, but not the premium.   Then I couldn't get lacquer thinner to take off lacquer.  99% of commercial finishes are lacquer.