I finally finished most of it.
I saw a cabinet under the floor standing drill press in a WoodSmith book and I though it was a good idea so I started one may be 4 years ago. I had the case finished for at least that long.

I bough another metal lathe metal and the only place it would go is to move the drill press. And in doing so I moved it quite a ways from where I hap-hazardly stored my drill bits and so on. I have found that over the course of tine, 50 years, ( I'm a slow learner) that if it has a home it will get put away. An example if drill bits are at the drill press they will be easier to find than on a shelf half a shop away and more than likely to also get put away.

I knew I had some drawer slides tucked away and low and behold I had 5 of the six I needed of the correct length so I start finishing the cabinet. Bought another while I was out on Black Friday.The knobs a friend of mine gave me a box of the ones shown. The wouldn't have been my first choice but they were free and made the drawer usable. I would like to put on false fronts on the drawers and finish the project but I probable will never get back to it. anyway pictures.

[Image: DSC02915_zpsebz88tlp.jpg]

[Image: DSC02914_zps5r2ujqif.jpg]

PS:Now I have the drill bits in the top two drawers where they should be and slowly trying to figure out what to put in the rest

Tom
Very nice. I have a 42" cabinet with a hardwood top and a vise attached to it next to my drill press. It has all of my drill bits and then some overflow from my regular tool box. I agree that if every tool has a place, it will go back there when done.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Very nice!!! I cant tell by the pic, is it set back far enough to stand comfortable in front?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Yes it is a comfortable distance to work with. The front of the drawers is only 14 inches from column.  I think that makes it 7 inches from the spindle.

Tom
Nice! I had also built a DP cabinet, and I thought it was from Woodsmith....but I like yours a lot better.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Quote:I saw a cabinet under the floor standing drill press in a WoodSmith book and I though it was a good idea so I started one may be 4 years ago
My drill press is and has been on a mobile base. I needed it to be movable then. I friend of mine gave me the 5 inch casters  that I put on the cabinet, and I love them. I haven't put the cubbies on the back side yet. And if I do I will put doors on them to help keep out the dust and chips. A drill press is a great machine for producing chips.
If one is writing for a mag. it is easy to draw in a few drawers to fill up the space. But a person should spend a lot of time thinking about what should go in the drawer and just maybe ten drawers would be better than 5 or 6.
In fact I have a couple of rolling assembly tables that I wish they had the 5 inch wheels instead of 3 inch wheels. In fact as I am writing this I figured out how to cut off the legs so I can use the 5 inch wheels. But that is for another post.
Tom
Tom, you said:  "I would like to put on false fronts on the drawers and finish the project but I probable will never get back to it."

A word of warning...I took the same approach.  DP cabinet, router table cabinet, and grinder cabinet, all without drawer fronts...BAD idea!!!!  Dust and chips get in the slides and become a real problem.  I have to confess that I have lived with the problem for four or five years.  Ever so often I have to extend the drawers and blow off the slides with the compressor. It is a real pain. 

You and I will be happier when we make time to add the drawer fronts.

BTW your cabinet puts mine to shame!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Tom,

Nice job on your drill press cabinet. You'll love it.

You and I had a similar experience. My father built a cabinet-stand for his benchtop drill press sometime in the 1970s. He never completed it, never built the drawers. I inherited it when he died in 1989 and put my drill press on it. I lived with it without drawers until a couple of years ago. I finally decided to build drawers and consolidate all of my drilling stuff in one place. Wow! What a nice improvement.

One interesting note: My dad never attached the top to the cabinet. There was a grubby panel of some unknown hardwood he used as a top and base for the drill press. I continued to use it. When I started working on the cabinet and the drawers, I took a swipe at the panel with a hand plane to see what it was. It was really nice walnut - who knew? I ripped it into boards and made my drawer fronts from it. Here's what I ended up with:

[Image: IMG_0209_zpsygs50tc2.jpg]
(11-28-2016, 10:34 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Tom, you said:  "I would like to put on false fronts on the drawers and finish the project but I probable will never get back to it."

A word of warning...I took the same approach.  DP cabinet, router table cabinet, and grinder cabinet, all without drawer fronts...BAD idea!!!!  Dust and chips get in the slides and become a real problem.  I have to confess that I have lived with the problem for four or five years.  Ever so often I have to extend the drawers and blow off the slides with the compressor. It is a real pain. 

You and I will be happier when we make time to add the drawer fronts.

BTW your cabinet puts mine to shame!

Some day I'll build a mobile cabinet for my TS storage.  Yours meets the bill.

I did a similar cabinet for my lathe.  Same experience, even with the false fronts.  You leave a drawer open, and poof, stuff collects in the drawers.  I ended up putting a kind of dust cover that extends from the top of the cabinet over the top of the drawer.  No more issues, as long as I remember to close the drawer, which still happens.  My cabinet is mobile, so I do move it to the side of the lathe when the lathe is in use, but you know how turning can spray shavings all over the place.  I'm a big fan of organized storage.  It's nice to be able to find things when you need them.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I second the importance of drawer fronts.  I had my bench top DP on a cabinet for a while, and it was amazing how nasty the cabinet got, it wasn't fully enclosed.  I need to build a base for that DP, the bench it's on has to go, too much space and all it does is collect junk.  DP gets very little space.  I think there is even junk stacked on the DP base